Hitting Mechanics - The Myths

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Howe

Blowhard in training
Aug 28, 2013
I think the C drawn has influenced my perception.
SP__BarrelPath_Cabrera_001_R.gif

and this also:
Yes, the ball should be hit with a slight upswing, but look at how much more time is spent getting the barrel down to bottom out... Most high level hitters recognize getting the barrel down to the ball and most interne gurus talk about hitting up through the ball. Then you have kids dumping the barrel all over the place.

Howe

Blowhard in training
Aug 28, 2013
This has me thinking about what is being pointed out. Would this be the point being made,that it may lead to barrel dump?
29sg43.gif

mwback.gif

Yes, the hitter should always feel as if they are working from above the ball. Shoulder orientation is huge in that...

Howe

Blowhard in training
Aug 28, 2013
The bottom picture here is misleading. It is not a level hand-path that is being shown. Those hands continue down. There is no other way to accomplish that barrel path:

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
I was turning THEN my hands went forward. The best do it at the same time..."or turn the barrel to the ball."
Slightly upward is correct, but a goal of it could lead to excess. Unless you are "chopping" down on the ball (what I think most picture/hear when we hear "swing down"...the people who say chop down to create back spin), you will naturally end up slightly upward.

Just some could bes, and maybes, things that could go sour.
AdGonz_side.gif

Time the barrel turn and hands moving toward the ball. I like turn to the ball.

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
Abviously the C drawn is an absolute in that swing, but I think it gives an illusion that the hands are stalled and the barrel turns the C. When you look at it though, there is MAYBE 1/2-1 frame of rearward barrel movement out of his tip before his hands are moving (get moved...not getting into it!) forward.