Hitting Mechanics - The Myths

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
Swing down and through the ball.

Get your arms extended at contact.

Sometimes it's simply an issue of a poor cue. For example, don't drop your shoulders is good advice when you're talking about the stride phase. So when I hear someone say ''don't drop your shoulder,'' I don't immediately assume that's wrong.

Another one is ''keep your weight back.'' That's good advice when you're talking about keeping the center of gravity from getting over the front foot during the stride or swing, which is an epidemic in 8U rec league, but it's bad advice if you're saying that the back foot should be weighted during the swing.

There are also myths that are matters of making absolutes out of style questions. Things like ''keep your stride short'' or ''align your knuckles this way when gripping the bat.''

Jun 18, 2012
Utah
While high school tryouts aren't until the end of February around here, high school "open gym" for softball has started. Of course, I continue to have bi-weekly pitching practice for the three pitchers I work with. I also have weekly hitting practice. On of the HS assistant coaches has told some of my hitters to stop dropping their back shoulder and that their shoulders need to stay level. HMMMMM!

So the myths we have are:

1. Don't drop your back shoulder
2. Squish the bug
3. Swing down through the ball
4. Get your arms extended at contact
5. Keep your weight back

Jun 18, 2012
Utah
1. Don't drop your back shoulder!
2. Squish the bug!
3. Swing down through the ball!
4. Get your arms extended at contact!
5. Keep your weight back!
6. Don't let that barrel drop!
7. Swing level!
8. Roll those wrists at contact!

May 24, 2013
So Cal
On of the HS assistant coaches has told some of my hitters to stop dropping their back shoulder and that their shoulders need to stay level. HMMMMM!

My 15yo DD was told this ^ recently by her HS coach. Dropping her shoulder isn't the issue, dropping her hands is. The same coach also told her "don't chop down on the ball", which is not at all in her pattern, but reinforced her hand drop issue. She's learning not to listen to him for swing cues.

Jun 18, 2012
Utah
My 15yo DD was told this ^ recently by her HS coach. Dropping her shoulder isn't the issue, dropping her hands is. The same coach also told her "don't chop down on the ball", which is not at all in her pattern, but reinforced her hand drop issue. She's learning not to listen to him for swing cues.

Tip, when the instruction is wrong it's wrong. The more there girls understand, the easier it is for them to ignore poor instruction.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802