Hitting Mechanics - The Myths

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Howe

Blowhard in training
Aug 28, 2013
I always had a "slightly up through" thought in my mind...and yes some good gifs I have do have hitters getting slightly below the ball, but just at about contact. (It was that Manny and Cutch I was looking at.). I really started looking and getting the feeling of "trying to stay above the ball." The barrels were taking a slight up angle, but really not until contact or after (for the most part.). That started my turning the barrel to the ball thought.
Nice! I'm all teary eye'd

Howe

Blowhard in training
Aug 28, 2013
Of course you are. After really looking at it though, I did think "Howe, and his 'Braun from above' series is right."
Epstein had me looking at things a little cockeyed from the beginning. The rest of what I was learning was just a pile on. That's why I preach so hard!

Jun 18, 2010
I always had a "slightly up through" thought in my mind...and yes some good gifs I have do have hitters getting slightly below the ball, but just at about contact. (It was that Manny and Cutch I was looking at.). I really started looking and getting the feeling of "trying to stay above the ball." The barrels were taking a slight up angle, but really not until contact or after (for the most part.). That started my turning the barrel to the ball thought.

Hmmm.... I am still in the "slightly up through" camp, nobody told me we changed campsites, I am suddenly feeling all alone :(

Help a brother out and post some links to some background material so I can get back to base camp.

Howe

Blowhard in training
Aug 28, 2013
Hmmm.... I am still in the "slightly up through" camp, nobody told me we changed campsites, I am suddenly feeling all alone :(

Help a brother out and post some links to some background material so I can get back to base camp.
How many frames of this swing, consist of the barrel going down to the ball?

MiggyBarrelTurn.gif

This does not imply the hands go down through the ball. The hands get into a slot and then attempt to work through extension in a LEVEL manner. The fact is, they will be pulled up naturally. The barrel works around the hands, bottoms out, and then begins it's slight upswing.

Last edited:

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
This has me thinking about what is being pointed out. Would this be the point being made,that it may lead to barrel dump?
29sg43.gif

mwback.gif