Hitting Mechanics - The Myths

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
RCS_Ti_Spring.jpg

IMO it is simplified with a coil. If you turn the bottom of the coil clockwise and hold the top of the coil from turning, the snappiest release of the top of the coil is going to be if you are resisting and trying to keep it from dropping. If you let it drop or you let it turn forward it is not going to be as snappy. If you turn the bottom and hold the top, the coil will bend the top down, but bending because of the coil will keep the release snapping. Bending down because the top hand is bending it down will not be as snappy of release. Aka "bleeding" ---"leaking" the coil.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
I hear ya! We are having some catching technique issues with probably a similiar group.

Throw a rock through their window with a copy of the NECC DVD attached to it and your problem will be solved as long as you don't drop your shoulder and finish HE style.

PS And if that fails, ask them whether they think its better to be ignorant or stupid and then punch those bi***es in the noses.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
This is why I generally put NO FAITH AT ALL in "talking" to them. Most often, it wouldn't be any less productive to go out back and tell it to the fence, or the neighbor's dog.

I don't know about that. I was shocked to witness my neighbor's dog using a SNF engine to turn his bone behind the corner. Apparently, he listens a lot better than my DD.

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
Throw a rock through their window with a copy of the NECC DVD attached to it and your problem will be solved as long as you don't drop your shoulder and finish HE style.

PS And if that fails, ask them whether they think its better to be ignorant or stupid and then punch those bi***es in the noses.

Yes an intervention is in order, but "one day she will be as good as the tip toers" .

Right now she is just taking pride in that every upperclassmen is bailing out and icing their arms within the first half of throwing.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
Yes an intervention is in order, but "one day she will be as good as the tip toers" .

Right now she is just taking pride in that every upperclassmen is bailing out and icing their arms within the first half of throwing.

When seeing both styles, I don't understand how anyone can even think that being on the toes is better. Take a look at the catcher photos in the link in Post #9 http://www.discussfastpitch.com/softball-catching/17628-baseball-chest-protector-girls-softball.html from the "Chest Protector" thread that Chaz provided of the recent NECC/ACC clinic in the "Boys chest protector for girls" thread. Even though they may be just learning, they look better prepared and in a more athletic position to receive, block, and throw than any "tiptoe" catcher ever could.

Last edited:
May 24, 2013
So Cal
When seeing both styles, I don't understand how anyone can even think that being on the toes is better. Take a look at the catcher photos in the link in Post #9 http://www.discussfastpitch.com/softball-catching/17628-baseball-chest-protector-girls-softball.html from the "Chest Protector" thread that Chaz provided of the recent NECC/ACC clinic in the "Boys chest protector for girls" thread. Even though they may be just learning, they look better prepared and in a more athletic position to receive, block, and throw than any "tiptoe" catcher ever could.

Yep. The point I make when arguing with someone about tiptoe vs. heels down...

Like hitting, receiving needs to be done from a stable and powerful athletic position. Would you stand on your tiptoes trying to swing a bat?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi