Hitting Mechanics - The Myths

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 18, 2012
Utah
But this is no reason to tell a batter, "Keep your shoulders level" (as in through the swing), when the shoulder has, in fact, naturally dropped down from where it was, when contact is made.

Jun 18, 2012
Utah
Personally I wouldn't make that a direct goal so much as a 'result'.

azcj7k.jpg

I agree completely. But it can't be a result when the batter is told to "KEEP" the shoulders level.

HYP

Nov 17, 2012
I want the shoulders to have roughly the same angle the bat and forearm has at contact. And, I think it's natural. I see nothing wrong with the word "drop" in this regard, as the should does drop from it's original height as the swing is goes into the point of contact.

Something similar to this... (sure isn't level shoulders)
View attachment 5098

HYP,

Are you trying to make the claim that "Don't let your back shoulder drop." isn't really a myth. If so, I disagree. If not, then I guess you're just arguing that it's a bad word for you and some others.

Agree, the shoulder line should end up roughly with the same angle as the bat at contact. What I am saying is that "Maintain a tall back side", "Keep the rear shoulder up", "Don't drop the back shoulder" are good cues when used properly. They shouldn't be dismissed. I watch kids hit all day. From 5 year old to 65 year old. All of them have their back shoulder come down. It is a natural thing to do. I don't want to emphasis it. I want them to learn to resist it because the barrel is going to get released down to the ball and create the diagonal swing plane. The shoulders will get to where they need to to maintain dynamic balance throughout the swing. If I do not resist the dropping at the beginning the back side will collapse. IMHO

May 24, 2013
So Cal
I agree completely. But it can't be a result when the batter is told to "KEEP" the shoulders level.

Yes. The difference is in the rear shoulder GETTING lowered (a result of other actions) vs. DROPPING the rear shoulder (a conscious action). I think we all agree that keeping the shoulders level is not correct...unless you're hitting a pitch shoulder-high.

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
I have completely changed my thoughts on "trying to stay above the ball", "swinging down to the ball", "swing level" in the last few months.
manny26_zpsf28b6c36.gif

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
I always had a "slightly up through" thought in my mind...and yes some good gifs I have do have hitters getting slightly below the ball, but just at about contact. (It was that Manny and Cutch I was looking at.). I really started looking and getting the feeling of "trying to stay above the ball." The barrels were taking a slight up angle, but really not until contact or after (for the most part.). That started my turning the barrel to the ball thought.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChippyNole