When did your pitchers increase velocity?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 2, 2018
Georgia
My daughter is short 5'2" and small frame. Her speed increases are pretty steady every year but no huge jumps. Probably because she never had any increases in height of 3 inches over a year or summer. These are her consistent speeds in games and practice off the rubber.
10 years old 43mph
11 years old 45 mph
12 years old 47 mph
13 years old 49 mph
14 years old 53mph
15 years old 56mph

Apr 14, 2022
Were the jumps because of physical development or refining mechanics? Or both?
I do not know. Just looking at age speed charts and DD progression. First jump was 9-10, started pitching coach at 10 so assuming mainly mechanical. Second was 13-14 hard to say, think it was a combination. She grew mainly 12-13 but saw the jump after. Think it was getting used grown body mechanics and being able to use added height and strength.

May 16, 2016
Illinois
I have one also. Mine is just 5’8”. I think width of shoulders is a big one when people project future weight. Width of hips after puberty as well.

I certainly have had no issues adding weight the last few years! But I am guessing it will be more difficult for my DD. My wife and I are always curious what size we think our DD will end up by the end of high school. I am 6’1” and my wife is 5’11”. Our DD may grow some more or she may almost be done. It is hard to predict on any kid, even your own when you have a lot of information.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Saw this on Google so it must be true.

Add the height of the mom and dad together and get the average. Add 3" for a boy, subtract 3" for a girl. In your case your average would be 6'-0" subtract 3" for a daughter. So your daughter will be 5'9" tall. If you have a boy he will be 6'-3" tall. This formula is 100% correct except when it is wrong. LOL.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
I do not know. Just looking at age speed charts and DD progression. First jump was 9-10, started pitching coach at 10 so assuming mainly mechanical. Second was 13-14 hard to say, think it was a combination. She grew mainly 12-13 but saw the jump after. Think it was getting used grown body mechanics and being able to use added height and strength.

I think a delay caused by the brain needing to figure out how utilize the body after a growth spurt makes a lot of sense. You might be bigger and stronger now, but you don't know how to use it yet.

Apr 23, 2023
I agree that rarely do competitive pitchers make massive jumps from Freshman to senior year. For the hard throwers we know playing/going D1, they were always hard throwers. I can’t think of a not hard thower who became a top velo thrower over this period. I would think there is an anatomical match for the position like all sports.

Gains come from many things and I agree it generally is steady with maturation but a legit 2-5 mph jump can come from serious weight training.