Hit or error?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 8, 2016
The overall consensus is mental errors screw the pitcher but help the batter and fielder. Physical errors help the pitcher but hurt the fielder and batter. Softball is a weird game...
All of this only matters if you think stats mean anything. Yeah they get used in player rankings, etc but those are a crock too. Coaches may use them for lineups etc but hopefully they use them in conjunction with their eyes. College coaches know better to trust them..🤷🏽‍♂️

On the play in question, did your DD execute the pitch the way she wanted to? That is what matters if we are talking on an individual level.

Feb 13, 2021
MI
Mental errors are not scored errors, period. Example, batter starts her AB with a runner on 1B. This runner is called out for leaving early on first pitch. Second pitch is a sharp grounder to the SS who has forgotten the runner is already retired. Throws to 2B to start the DP. For some reason the 2B ALSO forgot the runner was already retired, and the relay to 1B is just a half step late to retire the BR. How would you score that if both throws were on target? Or if the SS realizes 2B ISN"T covering and double clutches to 1B, again just a half step late?

Jul 31, 2015
Mental errors are not scored errors, period. Example, batter starts her AB with a runner on 1B. This runner is called out for leaving early on first pitch. Second pitch is a sharp grounder to the SS who has forgotten the runner is already retired. Throws to 2B to start the DP. For some reason the 2B ALSO forgot the runner was already retired, and the relay to 1B is just a half step late to retire the BR. How would you score that if both throws were on target? Or if the SS realizes 2B ISN"T covering and double clutches to 1B, again just a half step late?

It’s a hit. Batter outran the throw.

For the OP - how would you score Javy Biaz’s rundown?

Mental errors happen all the time, even among professionals.

Nov 13, 2017
North Carolina
Can't believe this has gone 9 pages.
Anyway I agree with most that it should be ruled a double. Honestly the biggest thing about scoring is that you are fair and stay the same with your judgments / calls. Just remember the next time your OF let's a ball drop 1 step in front because she took that one step back initially, or the speedy girl got on because SS played the ground ball cleanly but didn't charge it. Error them up.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas

I thought at least in softball a BR cannot retreat back towards home plate if so it is declared an out. Is this correct or am I dreaming this up?

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY

I don't think I've ever see a stupid play like that. I assume that was scored an error on the catcher for allowing the runner to go to second with a poor throw. That being said, that play was 100% the 1B fault, but with reasonable effort, he could have saved the day. Sort of like my CF...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ceez12