Hit by line drive yesterday.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 4, 2010
Tucson AZ
On our 12u travel team I give the girls the option. If you want to play ANY infield position, you wear a mask. If you don't want to wear one, no problem, I won't be playing you in the infield. 100% of them choose to wear it.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
On our 12u travel team I give the girls the option. If you want to play ANY infield position, you wear a mask. If you don't want to wear one, no problem, I won't be playing you in the infield. 100% of them choose to wear it.

Unfortunately it is this type of thought process that is largely responsible for the stigma attached to wearing the equipment. There was no choice or exercise of free will and good judgement. Only coercion.

Last edited:
Apr 4, 2010
Tucson AZ
Unfortunately it is this type of thought process that is largely responsible for the stigma attached to wearing the equipment. There was no choice or exercise of free will and good judgement. Only coercion.

First, let me expand on that. I spent quite a bit of time explaining to them the benefits of a mask.

Second, they are children. When it comes to safety issues it is our responsibility to guide them to make the right choices. Every single girl on my team has seen first hand the benefit of wearing a mask. From the bad hop their teammate took off the mask and was able to pick up the ball and get the out, to the girl on the other team who took one and had to leave the game bleeding. I just chose to not let the girls on my team be that example by waiting for them to get hurt, then make the right choice. There is no stigma, it has become a non issue.
It's no different then when someone rides in our car. You wear a seatbelt. You don't get the choice to exercise your free will.

Jun 18, 2010
The question is: to mask or not to mask?

I was told no mask. This happened on the field next to us while our game was going on. DD has High School friends on the team this happened on. We are trying to find out in addition to the stitches, if she was diagnosed with a concussion.

We are a first year 16U, and this was our first time playing 18A. I didn't see many masks in the 18A division. It seems like the older girls get, the fewer masks I see being worn.

Where was this? We have a team "Worth" in TN, with similar colors. I didn't pay attention to the jersey when I first looked at the thread.

This was in Kansas City.

She has guest played for us many times, a very nice girl.

Jun 18, 2010
Thank you for posting this. We have four pitchers on our team. Three wear rip-its, the other doesn't. Our team encourages the use of masks for pitchers and corner infielders but we don't make it mandatory. I plan to show this picture to all the parents on our team. More importantly, I hope this young lady is ok. Situations like this change my focus from that of a coach to that of a dad. And yes, I think they should be used in boys leagues as well.

My son was hit in the face playing baseball and suffered a severe broken nose that required surgery. He wore a rip-it mask for baseball after that, but was never the same ball player after the accident. He ended up giving up baseball and now plays soccer.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
First, let me expand on that. I spent quite a bit of time explaining to them the benefits of a mask.

Second, they are children. When it comes to safety issues it is our responsibility to guide them to make the right choices. Every single girl on my team has seen first hand the benefit of wearing a mask. From the bad hop their teammate took off the mask and was able to pick up the ball and get the out, to the girl on the other team who took one and had to leave the game bleeding. I just chose to not let the girls on my team be that example by waiting for them to get hurt, then make the right choice. There is no stigma, it has become a non issue.
It's no different then when someone rides in our car. You wear a seatbelt. You don't get the choice to exercise your free will.

It is one thing to "guide" a child to make proper decisions while under the direct influence of a coach or parent. It is something altogether different to instill values that they will rely on to make proper decisions in the absence of such influence. That is why we regularly hear parents say "He/she knows they are not allowed to..." as they are booked and processed. If a coach is truly confident that players are sold on using a mask then there would never have been a consideration to impose a mandate. If tomorrow it was announced that masks were no longer mandated, how may players would not acquiesce to the mandate and summarily dump them? While coaches would like to think that none of their players would opt to take the field without a mask, the reality is that some would jump at the opportunity. Were this not the case you would see players continue to wear them in college when it becomes their choice, and is no longer forced upon them. Unfortunately it is at the higher levels of play where they are most beneficial.

There is most certainly a stigma attached to wearing a mask. If that were not the case many more players would be wearing one. It is viewed as a cumbersome piece of equipment used by players of questionable athletic skill. My DD, a college pitcher was recently asked why she does not wear one. Her response was "Do I also get a t-shirt saying I leave it fat?" Until the mindset of players, coaches, and others changes to where it is viewed as something that allows players to play more aggressively and compete at a higher level few players will wear them willingly.

Mar 15, 2013
Hope this girl is ok..Unfortunately for some reason there is a stigma and even if there is nothing said it's often the unspoken peer pressure. My DD a 7th grader tried out for JV..after they had a few live pitching sessions to batters including to the juniors and seniors I just happened to ask about her mask and..she told me she hadn't worn it..none of the other girls were.She has always worn her mask when pitching..always..i never told her she had to..it was just part of her pitching gear and now when with older kids she was going to take of off??
I told her she needs to pave the way for the younger kids coming up and I showed her video of a few pitchers getting hit with a line drive. She has put her mask back on and pitches without a second thought about it on JV...Now one of the other pitchers wears hers and a 3B does too...it only takes one...
Ps..i watched a D2 game the other day and pitcher had a mask..and watched Hampton U play U Maryland Eastern play on tv and a pitcher and 3B had masks..

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Not that it compares, but I was hit in the mask yesterday. I was catching a 10 yo. She throws 35mph. The ball hit the plate, popped me in the neck and it went into my mask.

The young lady was more shook up than I was. I took a second and went back to catching. When my glove goes on, my mask goes on.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00