How far of a drive to a tourney before you decide to fly?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 13, 2021
In general 8-10 hours of driving per day is about my limit. Anything much over that I am going to split into two days.

May 27, 2013
I've been using Delta for most flights. I find they have the most available options from the NY metro area. Next is Southwest. With a Sky Miles card, I always get an upgrade to Comfort Plus, and the first two checked bags are free.

Southwest isn't horrible. The problem is they make you connect through BWI for most flights. As for the likes of Spirit or Frontier, I'll pass. Any airline that makes you jumpstart the engines to get onboard isn't for me.
We are an AA hub. It‘s typically who I book with now.

May 27, 2013
I’ve also mastered the art of packing. I can fit clothes for a week in my carryon and backpack so I don’t have to pay for an extra bag. This year I’m staying with another mom in a condo so saved a ton of money there. Hotel would have been double the price. I use that money I saved to get a nicer seat on the plane.

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
I’ve also mastered the art of packing. I can fit clothes for a week in my carryon and backpack so I don’t have to pay for an extra bag. This year I’m staying with another mom in a condo so saved a ton of money there. Hotel would have been double the price. I use that money I saved to get a nicer seat on the plane.
Thanks for reminding me. I have to book my car and hotel for Florida in a few weeks...

Apr 28, 2014
I've been using Delta for most flights. I find they have the most available options from the NY metro area. Next is Southwest. With a Sky Miles card, I always get an upgrade to Comfort Plus, and the first two checked bags are free.

Southwest isn't horrible. The problem is they make you connect through BWI for most flights. As for the likes of Spirit or Frontier, I'll pass. Any airline that makes you jumpstart the engines to get onboard isn't for me.
This confuses me especially as an Engineer. Let me know what you mean about Jumpstarting the engines.

Apr 28, 2014
It's a joke about low-cost airlines and how they nickel and dime you to death.
Ah! I get it! But when you compare the safety record and total cost of discount providers vs full fare you may be surprised to learn that the overwhelming majority of passengers have no idea that discount providers offer a significantly better cost ratio vs full price airlines unless you are a rewards member of the big 3. I always love when people tell me that they got great deal on Southwest for 3 people for $999 BUT it includes bags. I chuckle when my Spirit flight cost $705 with bags and front seats. I love Southwest except for last Christmas when they left thousands of passengers stranded. But the good news is that the stranded passengers got free bags :)
I joke.

Sorry, I worked in the airline industry and feel bad that there isn't more accurate data out there for people to read.

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
Ah! I get it! But when you compare the safety record and total cost of discount providers vs full fare you may be surprised to learn that the overwhelming majority of passengers have no idea that discount providers offer a significantly better cost ratio vs full price airlines unless you are a rewards member of the big 3. I always love when people tell me that they got great deal on Southwest for 3 people for $999 BUT it includes bags. I chuckle when my Spirit flight cost $705 with bags and front seats. I love Southwest except for last Christmas when they left thousands of passengers stranded. But the good news is that the stranded passengers got free bags :)
I joke.
It also has to do with convenience. If you compare available flights from the NYC area, Delta and Southwest have far more available direct flights. Not only more flights the same day, but also more available days. Sometimes Frontier only has certain days available, so while the price may be $200 less expensive, if I have to stay an extra day, the cost is eaten up by the extra night in a hotel.

Apr 28, 2014
It also has to do with convenience. If you compare available flights from the NYC area, Delta and Southwest have far more available direct flights. Not only more flights the same day, but also more available days. Sometimes Frontier only has certain days available, so while the price may be $200 less expensive, if I have to stay an extra day, the cost is eaten up by the extra night in a hotel.
Great point!
Check local airports. May be able to save by flying out of a regional vs ITL airport. Let's all save some $$$

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
Great point!
Check local airports. May be able to save by flying out of a regional vs ITL airport. Let's all save some $$$
I'd love to do that, but flights on Southwest or Frontier are actually more expensive out of ISP versus LGA. And with a few exceptions, everything goes through BWI. The parking is less expensive, though.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles