Hit by line drive yesterday.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 9, 2009
IL
Unfortunately it is this type of thought process that is largely responsible for the stigma attached to wearing the equipment. There was no choice or exercise of free will and good judgement. Only coercion.

You'll need to explain this more thoroughly.

A coach requiring an infielder to wear a mask is NOT largely responsible for the stigma.

If you're simply trying to tie a stigma to not wanting to wear one, that's true, but it's the girls themselves that are largely responsible. There are many top level players who would never be caught wearing a mask. Ask them why not a mask and they'll tell you, "That's why I have a glove."

While I've never seen girls bully others that do wear a mask I suspect it happens.

The girls themselves are the #1 reason. #2 is college recruiting. Mask mandates by TB coaches doesn't make the top 10.

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2010
In your face
My DD absolutely refused to wear a mask. She pitched 1000's of innings of TB, got hit a few times in the legs, nothing above the waist. Her senior year of high school we were playing out of town in a large HS tournament and this happened..............

752BB229-B2D1-4C26-8BA7-5A1CFBC0A3E1-1016-000001AF367242D5_zps6a06a4fc.jpg
[/IMG]

The shot was so fast, it was hard to distinguish the sound of the ball off the bat as it was off DD's chin. As a father I can tell you I have NEVER had a feeling like the one for about 10 seconds after it happened. Funny thing is she picked up the ball and threw to first, probably as a reaction, before she doubled over from the pain. ( funny now, not funny then )

On the way to the ER, she said "it's time for a mask". In the exam room I ordered one via the iPhone. She has worn one ever since.

I'm in NOW WAY advocating it should become a rule, I don't care much for rules or regulations. But I will say once you've had it happen to you, or see an injury on a teammate, you look at the mask very differently.

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
You'll need to explain this more thoroughly.

A coach requiring an infielder to wear a mask is NOT largely responsible for the stigma.

If you're simply trying to tie a stigma to not wanting to wear one, that's true, but it's the girls themselves that are largely responsible. There are many top level players who would never be caught wearing a mask. Ask them why not a mask and they'll tell you, "That's why I have a glove."

While I've never seen girls bully others that do wear a mask I suspect it happens.

The girls themselves are the #1 reason. #2 is college recruiting. Mask mandates by TB coaches doesn't make the top 10.

I was referring to the thought process of mandating use of a product which is inherently unpopular with the intended user. No kid wants to be the kid that mom, dad, or coach my way or the highway forced them to wear a goofy piece of metal on their face. It is the mandating and forcing the use by which the stigma is propagated. Are kids ridiculed for wearing them. Absolutely.

People in this country by nature do not want to be told what to do or what they can't do. It is part of our makeup and our cultural DNA. As a people often we are inclined to do the exact opposite. Recent history provides a great example of this behavior. After the shootings in Aurora and Sandy Hook there was much bluster about banning assault rifles, specifically AR15's. The result was people bought them in droves and a couple of years later manufacturers still can't keep up. It is undeniable that one of the best ways to get someone to want something is to tell them they can't or shouldn't have it. And one of the best ways to keep people from using and embracing something is to force it upon them. By example I give you the Affordable Care Act (ACA) aka Obamacare. Regardless of how you feel about the mandate it is undeniable that most people take issue with being forced into the system.

Kids are no different. There was a great resistance when bicycle helmets first came out. Now that they come in pink cheetah print and emblazoned with Sponge Bob kids want to wear them. Now thankfully the norm is to wear one and you are "different" if you don't. We are at the same place with face masks that we were years ago with bike helmets. Yes they are a good idea. Yes kids should wear them. Yes they will prevent injuries maybe even an occasional death. But you will not get universal acceptance through self serving mandates and coercion. You don't get a kid to do something because you are emotionally invested. You need to get them emotionally invested. Find a way to win the emotional battle on the kids level and you will see face masks become the norm.

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
What is needed is a stud 3rd baseman to wear a mask in the WCWS, charge on squeeze and take it in the air off the bat, and tag the runner coming in to home to win the game. Then in the post game interview talk about how she would never be able to play with that level of intensity if she was not wearing a mask. Now it is both cool and you play better if you wear a mask. Rip-It will be back ordered for months and we can all stop preaching to the choir.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
What is needed is a stud 3rd baseman to wear a mask in the WCWS, charge on squeeze and take it in the air off the bat, and tag the runner coming in to home to win the game. Then in the post game interview talk about how she would never be able to play with that level of intensity if she was not wearing a mask. Now it is both cool and you play better if you wear a mask. Rip-It will be back ordered for months and we can all stop preaching to the choir.

What we need is a MLB pitcher/infielder to wear one. Right after that, I'm buying stocks, watching the $$ roll in.

Dec 23, 2009
San Diego
In DD's HS game on Friday, the score was lopsided so the opposing coach put in his "#2" (she looked like she hadn't pitched since 8U). DD hit a line drive that missed her head by no more than two inches - no mask - she never had a chance - after the ball passed her head (I'm sure she heard it go by), she squatted down for a good two minutes to regain her composure. I truly hope this close call - should she continue to want to pitch - will make her parents (dad was standing right beside me behind the plate) get her a mask and that she will wear it.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
What we need is a MLB pitcher/infielder to wear one. Right after that, I'm buying stocks, watching the $$ roll in.

What you need is parents being parents and if your DD doesn't want to play by your rules, she doesn't play.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KittyGoneWild