How far of a drive to a tourney before you decide to fly?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 16, 2016
Illinois
12 hours or under I drive. I got Toyota Camry Hybrid that gets 46 mpg. That vehicle makes for some low cost trips in terms of gas prices. The wife flies to Colorado and California, she gets dirt cheap rental car prices through her work. 4 doors sedans are about $35 per day.

Jan 22, 2011
It all depends. We always drove to Colorado (15 hrs). Pretty scenery really helps. Flew to Cali, St Louis, Atl. Free on SW Rapid Rewards program.
Anything more than 5 to 6 hours, we flew. I played Credit Card games to have a companion pass on Southwest, my hotel status gave me free upgrades on Hertz, and I lucked out a few times team hotel was sold out so I could use points. Hotel status also gave me 4PM checkouts at Marriotts.

Aug 9, 2021
Anything more than 6 we generally fly if it's just two of us. Same as others...Southwest points and Companion pass. Flights cost ~$5 for the security fee. Hertz is typically under $100 for a full size rental car and we walk up and the car is ready (most of the time). Gas and food are costs incurred regardless.

May 13, 2021
DD has never played far enough away to fly. However I would think anything I could drive to in two days of driving or less I would drive. I don’t mind driving, days off work is not an issue, and it would be cheaper.

Apr 28, 2014
Guess it depends if you're willing to fly budget airlines. For some reason people are just unwilling... not sure why. I've flown Spirit and Frontier dozens of times with zero issues. Planes are as new or newer than Southwest and even if you buy bags you still end up 40%-50% less.
We drove to Florida from PA several times... never drove west past Ohio. I like to drive but when you factor in taking an extra day off from work it may not make sense.
Also a reminded Costco members should check Costco travel website for great deals on rental cars. I've saved hundreds of dollars using them and for years I never knew they offered a discount. It's a perk for being a member.
Also remember the travel doesn't stop when they get to college ball.. it actually is more intense as I sit here in Florida in my hotel room. 😀

May 27, 2013
I’ve occasionally done a 10 hour round trip in a day if DD’s school had a DH at home but no games the next day. I’ve also done PA to FL by myself when dd was in HS. That was a long trip to do alone. Had to stay over in SC on the way down and NC on the way back. Probably wouldn’t do it again unless I had someone to go along with me. However, not having to deal with the airport and car rental nonsense was nice.

I don’t chance the cheaper airlines anymore in March (due to chancy weather) because DD’s freshman year my flight was canceled due to snow and since they have fewer flights in a day, they were all canceled. Was able to get an AA flight though later that evening and still made it down to FL in time to catch DD’s first collegiate game next morning. The cheaper airline couldn’t get me rebooked until 2 days later. Would have bummed me out if I missed that game.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
From my house, Disney World is exactly 14 Hours distance to drive. I drove it going down and also back. Each time straight through. That is the longest distance I drove for a softball tournament. In college when she played in Arizona, my wife and I flew to watch the tournament.

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
I’ve occasionally done a 10 hour round trip in a day if DD’s school had a DH at home but no games the next day. I’ve also done PA to FL by myself when dd was in HS. That was a long trip to do alone. Had to stay over in SC on the way down and NC on the way back. Probably wouldn’t do it again unless I had someone to go along with me. However, not having to deal with the airport and car rental nonsense was nice.

I don’t chance the cheaper airlines anymore in March (due to chancy weather) because DD’s freshman year my flight was canceled due to snow and since they have fewer flights in a day, they were all canceled. Was able to get an AA flight though later that evening and still made it down to FL in time to catch DD’s first collegiate game next morning. The cheaper airline couldn’t get me rebooked until 2 days later. Would have bummed me out if I missed that game.
I've been using Delta for most flights. I find they have the most available options from the NY metro area. Next is Southwest. With a Sky Miles card, I always get an upgrade to Comfort Plus, and the first two checked bags are free.

Southwest isn't horrible. The problem is they make you connect through BWI for most flights. As for the likes of Spirit or Frontier, I'll pass. Any airline that makes you jumpstart the engines to get onboard isn't for me.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles