Hit by line drive yesterday.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 12, 2012
On the bucket
I'm a numbers guy. I know that everything we ever do in life has risk. I find it funny that some people are afraid of flying, but will drive cross county. Which has the higher odds of dying? (if you don't know the answer, flying 3,000 miles is far safer than driving 3,000 miles).

I'll chime in here since you nailed me to a "T". :cool:

I believe:

1) Statistics are just that - statistics. They do not take into account the individual scenario.

2)I would likely have some control to avoid the situation since I control the vehicle. In a plane I don't have that option. As a former road racer I like my chances of avoiding a good number of incidents.

3)If something were to happen in a vehicle I stand a better chance of surviving the aftermath since there wouldn't be the possibility of a 35,000 foot fall involved.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
I am firmly in the "masks are a choice" column.

That being said, I find it peculiar that in all other areas of our DD's lives we want them to be strong and have self-esteem. We want them to be able to come to us for advice willingly. We pray that they make good choices.

But when a player decides keeping her face as unscathed as possible by wearing a mask is right for her, she is a "coward" or "obviously not a real player".
Let's be as realistic as possible. Your dd, and mine, make lots of good decisions that someone is criticizing her over. The difference is we don't hear them and if we did we wouldn't care. Kids are under scrutiny by their peers and adults for everything.

Jun 24, 2010
Mississippi
My DD has been pitching for the Varsity team as a 7th grader. She had no choice but to wear the mask. I never got much complaining about it. I don't believe the organizations should make it mandatory. I explained to DD WHY she must wear it. It wasn't simply, "put it on because I said so.", type of conversation.

Well, Saturday, in her last playoff game, she took a line drive right back off her glove wrist. On the way to get Xray's she tells me that she didn't have a chance to move. She told me that she's glad I have her wearing the mask, but still don't like the way it makes her hair look. haha

I'm hoping that the other girls will see that DD wears a mask and will feel more comfortable wearing one them-self. She made herself a reputation for being tough this year, so no one see's her wearing it as a sign of weakness.

btw..no broken bones, but swollen and blue.

Jun 7, 2013
After my youngest DD got nailed in the face with a line drive while pitching, I haven't had to remind her or
my oldest DD to wear their mask. Also, all the other pitchers who were there when she was hit wear their masks
without anyone telling them to.

I think that we all suffer from that, "It will never happen to us syndrome". But I want to say, "People, wake up!!!"
This can happen to your DD or someone else's. It's like a seat belt: You pray to God that you never need it but,
if you do, you are glad that it's there and you or your loved one wore it.

Forget the laws or regulations or whatever, I sincerely implore you to consider this option for your DD and, yet,
hope that she will never need it.

Jan 17, 2012
Kansas
Sheesh! 26 pages.

Does anyone play in a sanction that forbids masks? For a coach who forbids them? If so, leave, find somewhere else to play and stick a mask on the DD.

If not, stop whinging and worrying what others are saying about you and stick a mask on the DD.

May 18, 2009
A local college girl took one to her face last year. She had to have all her teeth placed back into proper position. Broken jaw. She finished her year in a mask and in some pain.

Dec 12, 2012
On the bucket
Sheesh! 26 pages.

Does anyone play in a sanction that forbids masks? For a coach who forbids them? If so, leave, find somewhere else to play and stick a mask on the DD.

If not, stop whinging and worrying what others are saying about you and stick a mask on the DD.

or you could just not read this thread if the 26 pages bother you that much.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
Let's be as realistic as possible. Your dd, and mine, make lots of good decisions that someone is criticizing her over. The difference is we don't hear them and if we did we wouldn't care. Kids are under scrutiny by their peers and adults for everything.

Who gives a damn about their peers? Maybe it is time for people to grow up, including the adults. "Hey, all my friends smoke and say that is cool, so I better smoke. I want to be labeled as a naïve kid, so I better start giving the boys what they want like the cool girls. It's cool to drink and I want to be cool, so I better go along with the group tonight."

Yeah, gotta worry about what others think or I'll never have any friends. Yep, there is some common sense parenting.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
Who gives a damn about their peers? Maybe it is time for people to grow up, including the adults. "Hey, all my friends smoke and say that is cool, so I better smoke. I want to be labeled as a naïve kid, so I better start giving the boys what they want like the cool girls. It's cool to drink and I want to be cool, so I better go along with the group tonight."

Yeah, gotta worry about what others think or I'll never have any friends. Yep, there is some common sense parenting.

Don't be an rear. I know hard for you but give it a try. Way to put my words out of context. With the post I replied to you could see that I was saying we shouldn't care if other people have an issue with good decisions and you turned it around as if I was saying out kids should bend to peer pressure. On the other hand to pretend that peer pressure does not exist is dangerous. Put your head in the sand if you want. I would rather parent with my eyes open

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TaraLynn0207