Hit by line drive yesterday.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
So it's ok to have a rule that batters wear helmets but not that corners and pitchers wear
Masks? I'm all for not having burdensome rules but when it comes to safety in a sport there is a lot of precedence. I'd rather take my chances with my kid getting safely away from a pitched ball than abatted ball at 35-40 feet. Don't they have to wear helmets when base running as well? Does anyone think a base runner is in more danger than a pitcher? maybe they get hit more often but the results are far less severe than a liner in the face.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Since even with a mask most players will turn their heads and negate the protection of the mask, why not have players wear batting helmets at all times?

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Fastpitch bats have a 1.20 BPF rating, so a batted ball can come back at a pitcher faster than they threw it. Since batters are required to wear helmets and face masks, why shouldn't we require pitchers to wear masks, especially at the younger age groups?

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Fastpitch bats have a 1.20 BPF rating, so a batted ball can come back at a pitcher faster than they threw it. Since batters are required to wear helmets and face masks, why shouldn't we require pitchers to wear masks, especially at the younger age groups?

Why stop at masks?

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
When a coach tells me that they do not like their players to wear masks, I ask them why they use an L-screen to throw batting practice???

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
When a coach tells me that they do not like their players to wear masks, I ask them why they use an L-screen to throw batting practice???

I would point out that very few coaches throw BP at pitching distances and they are typically focused on hitting mechanics not defending themselves. But that said would you advocate for the use of pitching screens by all pitchers?

Feb 3, 2011
I strongly suggest that my pitchers and 3B wear masks (12u rec), but even though Bollinger would most likely cover me in the event of lawsuit, I'm not going to MANDATE something that has not been tested and approved as a safety device by a legitimate authority or sanctioning body.

This is similar to the reason I don't tell kids that they HAVE to slide.

Our culture is constantly evolving, but at this time, I believe the decision to wear or not wear a mask is best left to the parents and players to make. FWIW, my daughter wears a mask at those 2 positions and has been since 1st year 10u. There was never any argument about it at all.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
I would point out that very few coaches throw BP at pitching distances and they are typically focused on hitting mechanics not defending themselves. But that said would you advocate for the use of pitching screens by all pitchers?

I think you should volunteer to throw BP for your DD's college team from @ 38 feet with nothing but a glove....since you are not worried about hitting mechanics you can just focus on dodging the bullets hit back up the middle.....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
krugersoftball