Hillhouse Video

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 3, 2009
Kansas City area
We purchased Bills video after reading some threads on here and watchn his clinic . Had dd workn with 2 pc's. both helped get her started at 8 but conflicted each other on some of the details. so I started reading tips, watchn videos, et. Now after watching Bills online clinic and his video. we try to mimick this stlye and the absolutes. Shes just turned 9 now and doing very well as far as thrown the ball hard, hiding grip, and starting to get accurate. We are not able to consistantally throw strikes or hit corners yet but were gettn there and my hand is bruised right now. We will continue to work on this along with a drop and I'll keep ya posted. Thanks to Bill for what he's doing for the sport.
Eric

Feb 19, 2009
I have Bill's video and will probably be purchasing his riseball video in the near future but I'll go slightly contrarian on this topic by saying you shouldn't expect a video, even a good one, to teach your dd how to pitch. Watching the video should be useful in helping you weed out the numerous "pitch around your hips" pitching instructors out there.

I first heard about Bill's videos from our pitching coach after we had been working with him for several months. I still remember our first lesson with him, I came in thinking I had developed a solid pitcher thanks to all we learned after one year at the rec league pitching clinics and constant practice. He undid all of it in our first lesson and I have yet to see a more immediate improvement since, she walked out of that lesson as a completely different pitcher and hasn't looked back. I know if I tried to undo my dd's pitching mechanics by myself just by watching Bill's video I probably would have created more problems than I solved.

Dec 3, 2009
Kansas City area
problem is that pc's in my area teach wave it up and touch your thrown arm shoulder,etc.
I have Bill's video and will probably be purchasing his riseball video in the near future but I'll go slightly contrarian on this topic by saying you shouldn't expect a video, even a good one, to teach your dd how to pitch. Watching the video should be useful in helping you weed out the numerous "pitch around your hips" pitching instructors out there.

I first heard about Bill's videos from our pitching coach after we had been working with him for several months. I still remember our first lesson with him, I came in thinking I had developed a solid pitcher thanks to all we learned after one year at the rec league pitching clinics and constant practice. He undid all of it in our first lesson and I have yet to see a more immediate improvement since, she walked out of that lesson as a completely different pitcher and hasn't looked back. I know if I tried to undo my dd's pitching mechanics by myself just by watching Bill's video I probably would have created more problems than I solved.

Sep 3, 2009
problem is that pc's in my area teach wave it up and touch your thrown arm shoulder,etc.

Same here. And they want $40 per half-hour to do it. Very very frustrating.

I would gladly pay that much IF I thought they were worth it but alas I haven't found a PC in the area (northern suburbs of NYC) that is. If there is one out there and you are reading this, by all means drop me a note!

Until then, it's just me, forums such as this, videos like Bill's and our local coach who does clinics a couple of times a year for several weeks. He's real good, and great with the girls, but he won't do individual lessons because he has accepted the role of working with the program as a whole. Very admirable of him actually, considering all of the money that lesser PC's are making around here.

Last edited:
May 7, 2008
Tucson

Yep. I see it here, too. OR they teach a figure 4 finish that evolves into a mule kick. But she goes to "________," so it must be correct. No. It isn't correct.

May 7, 2008
DFW
Amy,

I am afraid that is more the norm than the exception on both of those traits. See way to much of that and it is very hard to correct when embedded for years. Most kids and parents do not realize how much power and accuracy you give up because of loss of balance doing the figure 4 and snapping the ball hand up instead of across the body.

Major here in Texas too. I get "Well thats what Cat does when she pitches" To which I respond "Ask yourself why Cat is wearing a Neoprene sleeve on her right elbow" Its not for looks.

Dana.

Sep 10, 2009
Houston
Amy,

Iajor here in Texas too. I get "Well thats what Cat does when she pitches" To which I respond "Ask yourself why Cat is wearing a Neoprene sleeve on her right elbow" Its not for looks.

Dana.

Cat wear a neoprene sleeve on her right elbow because she use to hit he elbow on her hip as a kid. She wears it now as a precaution in the event her hip/arm timing is off and she hits it again and some swelling begins. I can tell you every Olympic pitcher has had periods where they hit their hip.

It doesn't suprise me that a DFW area pitching coach states what you do. A few good athlete - hard throwers, but very few if any movement pitchers ever come out of that area period.

Interesting that you should mention Cat on this thread. She pitches more like Hillhouse than any female pitcher that I have seen.

Jul 26, 2010
Rub your thumb and index finger together enough times, and you'll get a blister.

Kick yourself in the back of the knee every time you pitch, and you'll be in a brace before college. I've seen a few PC's, and every older student they have is in a kneebrace. Each of them do a drill where they kick themselves in the back of the knee with their pivot foot after dragging. Poor kids never figure it out.

-W

FastpitchFan

Softball fan
Feb 28, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Same here. And they want $40 per half-hour to do it. Very very frustrating.

I would gladly pay that much IF I thought they were worth it but alas I haven't found a PC in the area (northern suburbs of NYC) that is. If there is one out there and you are reading this, by all means drop me a note!

Until then, it's just me, forums such as this, videos like Bill's and our local coach who does clinics a couple of times a year for several weeks. He's real good, and great with the girls, but he won't do individual lessons because he has accepted the role of working with the program as a whole. Very admirable of him actually, considering all of the money that lesser PC's are making around here.

Hey Just so you know... Bill Hillhouse will do a full weekend clinic from December 10th-12th In Montreal. A bill for the full weekend.

If need info, contact me.

Marc

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mizenikki1