Hillhouse Video

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

pdj

May 7, 2008
I do wish that I would have first learned the toe over drag follow through Billy uses. The pitch just looks much smoother and effortless. Too bad for me that I was over 50 before I even tried it. Never had a problem kicking myself though. However, the fig 4 finish did work pretty well for my pick as the greatest pitcher ever, Ty.

Sep 3, 2009
Hey Just so you know... Bill Hillhouse will do a full weekend clinic from December 10th-12th In Montreal. A bill for the full weekend.

If need info, contact me.

Marc

Thanks Mark. Montreal is a 6 hour trip for me unfortunately. Used to visit the city fairly often though back in my school days at SUNY Plattsburgh in the mid 80's.

Aug 23, 2010
Florida
Just watched Fastpitch.tv episodes 89, 90, and 91. Great stuff. So much for getting work done today. ;) I am ready to go start practicing a few new things.

Apr 30, 2010
Artic Circle
Joe,
Saw some of the Hillhouse video and had my daughter try the follow through to the shoulder and she made a quick and seamless adjustement. We worked on it for two sessions of about 50 pitches and she found it was easy. I saw a lot more downward movement and her spin was no longer a bullet spin. She also gained some speed and we can't wait until spring to work on it some more.

May 4, 2009
Baltimore
What is most interesting about the Hillhouse video and his teaching is that it is based on common sense. Watching the College World Series I would venture to say that less than 10% of the girls pitching had mechanics that resembled Bill's philosophy, which is extremely sound. Unfortunately his method deviates from the norm out there. I have two girls who I have coached on my college team and have used the same approach that Bill advocates and one was recently named the best pitcher in our conference and the second one, who is now a sophomore, is ready to make the same kind of improvement. Both were "projects" at best when I met them. If anyone on this Board goes to a pitching coach whose teachings are counter to Bill's they should leave in a hurry.

Jun 13, 2009
CoachFP, well said. He is the first one to tell you (by his own post on here) that he did not invent anything or redesign anything about pitching. Yet, the very things being taught out there contradict what he does and defy his logic. The results are pretty obvious, lots of horrible looking mechanics, lots of injuries, and lots of people being about 50% as good as they should be. I still say Bill said it best one time, in an article of his, that college softball is both the best and worst thing that has happened to softball in a long time. It's the best because people get to keep playing and go to school for the sport (scholarships, etc) but it's the worst because people use college as the gold standard for someone's success. Title IX has insured that you no longer have to be "good" to play in college, yet the stigma is still there that if you did play in college you must be exceptional. It's an interesting thought.

Aug 23, 2010
Florida
DD started working on some of the new drills last week. Had a good weekend on the mound this past weekend. Still having a few muscle memory issues. Especially when tired. I have noticed that working on the "k" drill, when she is keeping the ball facing 3rd base. I have to constantly remind her to snap from behind the ball on release to get the proper rotation. Is that something that will fix itself with time? I worked really hard this past year to get the correct spin on the fastball and peel drop. I figure it is just her arm in a different position than it is familiar with during this drill. I know there has been much talk about hand location. I want to keep as much snap as possible in the pitch.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AcworthSoftballMom