Guru's V

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
tumblr_pfl0dk3q9i1usf292o1_400.gif

what would be your goal in performing the drill? What portion of the swing would you want your hitter to be focusing on and 'capturing the feel of' while doing this drill?
The 'question' would be answered best after I put a bat in the hitters hand.

May 12, 2016
Low tee or low front toss with the intent of hitting the ball to the top/middle of the net (tee work) or over the L-screen (front toss).

You can't think of any issues happening with this intent? I can, for example dumping the barrel too soon ending with a massive upper cut swing and a lot of topped balls, or those hitters who swing down on the ball to produce back spin ending up with a weak pop up etc.. What about if the drill posted was incorporated into showing the hitter proper way to get to a low pitch (or actually any pitch) and then you followed up with the drills you mentioned to really polish off your lesson.. would that me more effective then just asking a hitter to hit the ball to the top/middle of the net (tee work) or over the L-screen (front toss)?

Last edited:
May 12, 2016
Ffs wants you to think critically(IMO). If you were to have a student do this , why would you? What in your mind would be the benefit? Try the drill. You don’t need a tee or a stick. Just get up and do the motion. Do the motion with inside and up and down pitches as well. What’s the feel . Does it feel like the short hands drill you liked previously?

FP commented ‘my kid did this drill when she was 9-10.’ He’s such a nice guy.

I know what FFS wants and I all good with that. I have thought about it, but he sees issues with the drill and I would like to know what exactly he is referring to.. my original question to FFS was "Help me out here.. what's the issue with this drill if the tee is moved through out the zone, high inside/outside, low inside/outside.. etc"

Jun 8, 2016
You can't think of any issues happening with this intent? I can, for example dumping the barrel too soon, or those hitters who swing down on the ball to produce back spin ending up with a weak pop up etc.. What about if the drill posted was incorporated into showing the hitter proper way to get to a low pitch (or actually any pitch) and then you followed up with the drills you mentioned to really polish off your lesson.. would that me more effective then just asking a hitter to hit the ball to the top/middle of the net (tee work) or over the L-screen (front toss)?

I am not going to argue with you as there are no perfect drills..You asked for some other drills which had the goal of using the proper body tilt to get to a low pitch as opposed to dropping hands or lowering the body and swing flat..I gave you other options. Also never said that an instructor/parent wouldn't first show a kid what they wanted before having
them do what I said to do or that the drill posted wouldn't be part of a progression which then included low tee and low front toss..:p

Also not going to argue with you because I need to conserve my arguing energy for when I get home tonight :rolleyes:

Last edited:
May 12, 2016
I am not going to argue with you as there are no perfect drills..You asked for something to replace this drill which has the goal of using the proper body tilt to get to a low pitch as opposed to dropping hands or lowering the body and swing flat..I gave you other options. Also not going to argue with you because I need to conserve my arguing energy for when I get home tonight :rolleyes:

LOL.. yes my DD and I have hitting tonight as well. I have no intention of arguing, just thought we were having a discussion? Right there are no perfect drills, agreed. But for a hitter who has issues, chopping down on the ball, DBSF etc.. the broomstick drill is simple, a fundamental way of helping a hitter understand the proper way to get to a low ball, or any ball considering tilt would be relational to where the pitch is located. I understand we need to look at the big picture, but most of our hitters need things simplified. I love the broomstick drill for that reason.. after they get that feeling then I would move on to the drills you mentioned. Asking somebody who DBSF to hit a ball over the lscreen would probably result in a lot of unnecessary frustration IMO

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Same thing, I appreciate you responding, but I have a specific question. If there is an issue with this drill, then I would like to know.. and if this drill can be replaced by another which teaches what this drill is trying to promote... only better with no issues.

Virtually all drills have issues. If you are performing a drill without specific intent then you risk capturing a segment that is not desirable. Don't perform drills with the anticipation that it is like taking a pill to cure a disease.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
Well 2 pages later, we still do not know the issues! I like the drill and not necessarily for low pitches only. Gets them to turn focus on what the torso is doing. I would and coil and stride to it. Kinda like rebel rack from BR. Donaldson says something to the effect, I don't think about hands, I focus on timing with my torso.

Look at his front foot. It's just like BR rebel rack teaching.

https://www.google.com/search?q=jos...ome..69i57.10273j0j8&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
Ffs wants you to think critically(IMO). If you were to have a student do this , why would you? What in your mind would be the benefit? Try the drill. You don’t need a tee or a stick. Just get up and do the motion. Do the motion with inside and up and down pitches as well. What’s the feel . Does it feel like the short hands drill you liked previously?

FP commented ‘my kid did this drill when she was 9-10.’ He’s such a nice guy.

When DD was younger she wanted to 'stay tall'. She had trouble figuring out how to tilt. I removed the broom from a broom stick and had her do something very similar to this drill in order to get used to that feeling. I had her do it for a few weeks and have not done it since.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
When DD was younger she wanted to 'stay tall'. She had trouble figuring out how to tilt. I removed the broom from a broom stick and had her do something very similar to this drill in order to get used to that feeling. I had her do it for a few weeks and have not done it since.

Would you use this drill for a kid with good hitting posture? Any other reason is what I’m saying?

May 12, 2016
Virtually all drills have issues. If you are performing a drill without specific intent then you risk capturing a segment that is not desirable. Don't perform drills with the anticipation that it is like taking a pill to cure a disease.

Tnanks for the advice DR, :) .. now back to my question for you..

"Help me out here.. what's the issue with this drill if the tee is moved through out the zone, high inside/outside, low inside/outside.. etc"

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookish