Guru's V

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
Would you use this drill for a kid with good hitting posture? Any other reason is what I’m saying?

Personally, no. But I'm a tool in the toolshed guy. Everybody learns differently. Sometimes a student will respond to a different way of seeing or feeling something.

Jun 8, 2016
LOL.. yes my DD and I have hitting tonight as well. I have no intention of arguing, just thought we were having a discussion? Right there are no perfect drills, agreed. But for a hitter who has issues, chopping down on the ball, DBSF etc.. the broomstick drill is simple, a fundamental way of helping a hitter understand the proper way to get to a low ball, or any ball considering tilt would be relational to where the pitch is located. I understand we need to look at the big picture, but most of our hitters need things simplified. I love the broomstick drill for that reason.. after they get that feeling then I would move on to the drills you mentioned. Asking somebody who DBSF to hit a ball over the lscreen would probably result in a lot of unnecessary frustration IMO

No hitting tonight but I have an uncanny ability to find other things to argue about...

May 12, 2016
Would you use this drill for a kid with good hitting posture? Any other reason is what I’m saying?

These are obvious things W=w.. would I use this drill to promote power, timing, sequence? No, obviously not. But like RDBASS first said.. "Learning how to get to low pitch without dropping hands.". Is this drill useful for that? Yes IMO. FFS said that there are obvious issues with this drill... and anticipation is building to the grand finale :).. still waiting for FFS to explain what those issues are

Last edited:
May 12, 2016
Sorry Charlie, you dodged my question.

LOL, there's nothing to dodge here for me, I'm not the one that said there are issues with this drill.

1. You said there are issues
2. I asked what they were.
3. You then asked me 3 other questions without explaining what the issues are.
4. These last 3 pages have been my quest to find out what issues you have with this drill

I'm not the one that said there are issues, why are you asking me to assume that I know what issues you are talking about? Can you please just explain what the issues are for all the dummies like me out there?

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
These are obvious things W=w.. would I use this drill to promote power, timing, sequence? No, obviously not. But like RDBASS first said.. "Learning how to get to low pitch without dropping hands.". Is this drill useful for that? Yes IMO. FFS said that there are obvious issues with this drill... and anticipation is building to the grand finale :).. still waiting for what those issues are

Ok so the drill promotes posture for getting to the low pitch. Direction of swing is very important.Not present imo. The reason why I would not use this drill. It takes away from active hands and promotes pulling off. You will have spin the bottle and still won’t be able to hit the low and away pitch. The very thing she is working on. The shoulders don’t set direction imo. The hands/eyes do. So if you need a posture fix ... how about ‘ stay tall ‘.’ Don’t dive in’.

Drill is super mechanical. Robotic even. Walk up drills that have fluidity with ‘direction’ in mind would be a better fix.jmho.

May 12, 2016
Ok so the drill promotes posture for getting to the low pitch. Direction of swing is very important.Not present imo. The reason why I would not use this drill. It takes away from active hands and promotes pulling off. You will have spin the bottle and still won’t be able to hit the low and away pitch. The very thing she is working on. The shoulders don’t set direction imo. The hands/eyes do. So if you need a posture fix ... how about ‘ stay tall ‘.’ Don’t dive in’.

Drill is super mechanical. Robotic even. Walk up drills that have fluidity with ‘direction’ in mind would be a better fix.jmho.

Thanks W=w, really appreciate yho on this and reasons why you (not FFS) believe this isn't a good drill. I am intrigued, do you know a drill that promotes setting direction with hands/eyes.. specifically eyes? Also, staying tall has really helped my DD tons, maybe because she doesn't have the opportunity to get tall from sitting too early, :).

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mdawson30