FYB clarification

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
What do you mean by pulling? This is one thing i have to try, actively 'whatever' with front leg. DD has trained hard to create front side resistance in pitching to stop forward momentum so that the arm becomes ballistic ( i think i butchered the correct usage of that - sorry BoardMember). I asked DD is she actively pushed with her front leg during hitting and she said yes. Not sure if she really knows tho. I tried and think i felt the push and the hip going back.

With your daughter being a pitcher she will probably adapt faster to the 2 pivot movement pattern.

I think FFS always showed pictures (maybe RDBass, cant recall) where there was a line drawn down the front hip, and if the hip moved forward after heel down, the batter was posting up. So that is something i have tried to watch in DD's swing.

I just never really understood the Oblique vs legs discussion. I assume this 'pulling' you mention goes back to that conversations. just thought i would ask.

What is the discussion you're referring to ?

Feeling the front side pulling is similar to a backhand in tennis.

K2pf4NO.gif

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
I mean his hamstrings and the back of his body in general is/are dominating there.

And ya Ww they do that i guess.

It is a strange/interesting looking swing you have to admit

I will attempt to clarify my position. Again. Last time. Tiresome. 😐

Right before foot down happens the hips start to rotate ‘open’ (whatever you want to think opens them, doesn’t matter to me because it is reactionary)...imo that is the slack being taken out of the hips or the hips actually rotating to their full ROM against both femurs. Both hips.

Meanwhile the back leg is staying in ER best it can to keep the slack out or let the hips get to their EROM. This will have a look of the front leg opening on some players (higher mobility in the hips, think Josh D.) and or the rear knee going down and in a bit earlier (tighter mobility, Barry Bonds). What needs to happen is the rear hip needs to rotate over the femur before the back knee drops in. If the knee goes prematurely that is a sign of slack and the result will be a push. You can’t get across the body without pushing (Unless you TTB for speed). There would be nothing to rotate ‘against’.. only ‘with’...

as the front foot gets down and the hips are at max rotation (EROM) the obliques have been contracted eccentrically (stretched) and then contract concentrically (pull cross body) pulling the pelvis into rotation (pelvic tilt). The back leg trying to maintain ER and trying to hold the ground makes all of this possible. When the back foot everts that is the core pulling (concentric contraction) the back hip which is pulling the foot/leg because it’s at its EROM.

if the front or the back leg try to maintain their position and don’t rotate further than the hips, the core will be able to rotate against the hips therefore getting across the body without
pushing the hands. The legs and hips have been successfully leveraged.

the legs stop the hips; the hips stop the core; the core stops the lead arm; the lead arm stops the front hand; the front hand stops the bat. WHIP.

1586650996448.gif

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
His head moves like 8 inches forward then goes backward and lower. Why does this happen?
Its after the ball is gone. He is finding his balance. If he was doing it prior to contact he probably would be as good as he is. He is the anti-tip guy. Love his swing even if it is not HL. LOL

fanboi22

on the journey
Nov 9, 2015
SE Wisconsin
Feeling the front side pulling is similar to a backhand in tennis.

K2pf4NO.gif
The Oblique vs leg was something i think Bonesaw and WW were commenting on. That the legs and flexors power the swing. I was under the impression it was a 'core' oblique powered swing.

As far as the front side tennis backhand, i had mentioned before i actually felt more powerful doing a one legged golf swing on the front leg vs the back. felt more balanced and powerful. fell off the back leg and not very balanced IMO. So getting leverage on the front side in a fastpitch swing seems correct.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
Have you seen the clips where she's able to sit off-speed ? I don't think she (they) give a rats about fbc.

just for clarification to the thread. FYB has nothing to do with coiling. As you know😎.. The load is created in the S-plane, which creates the coil seen. Purely reactive. Attempting to push your pelvis forward by coiling causes nothing but problems in the sequence AND THE NEED to TTB as fast you can cuz you have leveraged nothing and have nothing but your hands left. FBC is nonsense. I like Forward By Gather. The gather in the Sagittal plane.
The Oblique vs leg was something i think Bonesaw and WW were commenting on. That the legs and flexors power the swing. I was under the impression it was a 'core' oblique powered swing.

As far as the front side tennis backhand, i had mentioned before i actually felt more powerful doing a one legged golf swing on the front leg vs the back. felt more balanced and powerful. fell off the back leg and not very balanced IMO. So getting leverage on the front side in a fastpitch swing seems correct.

Clarification: the obliques power the turn. They allow cross body movement without pushing the bat. The legs definitely stabilize the rotation and are used to hit against for power.

not my comment. Just trying to bring clarity. 🙂

Reactions: TDS

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
just for clarification to the thread. FYB has nothing to do with coiling. As you know😎.. The load is created in the S-plane, which creates the coil seen. Purely reactive. Attempting to push your pelvis forward by coiling causes nothing but problems in the sequence AND THE NEED to TTB as fast you can cuz you have leveraged nothing and have nothing but your hands left. FBC is nonsense. I like Forward By Gather. The gather in the Sagittal plane.

Clarification: the obliques power the turn. They allow cross body movement without pushing the bat. The legs definitely stabilize the rotation and are used to hit against for power.

not my comment. Just trying to bring clarity. 🙂

No words needed ;)

bGwQFVw.gif

Dn3mgsS.gif

J1c5pt0.png

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mkhill45