florida asa

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 31, 2012
How many different ways can a team in Florida try to qualify for asa nationals. How many teams per age group can qualify.

Aug 23, 2010
Florida
Florida is a tough state to earn a nationals bid. You have to win a qualifier tournament. Depending on the age group, there are usually a lot of teams playing for one spot. If you go to FL ASA, you can look at the scheduled tournaments. There are 3 shots coming up this fall. 2 qualifiers and Fall States. Each tournament will give a spot to the winner of each age group. The older the age group, the tougher it is to earn a spot. The younger teams still seem to like the nationals that you just enter. Last year the fall qualifiers in 16u and 18u had between 25-35 teams playing for one spot. I know of a few really good 14U teams that tried to qualify and couldn't. A couple Florida teams traveled to other states to earn their spot in summer. Find an open qualifier in a slightly weaker state and give it a shot. Florida is very competetive and not every team that wants to go, can. Have a back up plan.

May 31, 2012
I looked at the fl asa site for a few mins. It wasn't real clear. How many tournaments give out bids to nationals for the year. You mentioned 3 in the fall. How many in the spring? Estimate is fine. If qualified teams win another qualifier does the spot get passed down the line? Or once you qualify are you done playing qualifiers?

Aug 23, 2010
Florida
There are 3 in fall and I believe 4 during the summer that are actually held in Florida. I do not believe a team that is qualified can participate in the other qualifiers (except fall and summer states). yes, if a qualified team wins states, the spot would get passed down. My experience has been that when a team qualifies, they will play up in age groups in local tournaments.

Jul 2, 2013
The high level travel teams in South Carolina act in a gentleman's agreement to qualify as many SC teams as possible for ASA National Tourney's. They all travel out of state, usually to different ASA qualifiers. Once a travel team has a "spot" they stand back and allow other SC teams to try to qualify.

The goal is to get as many SC teams to nationals, and even though the competition between travel teams is intense, once one qualifies for the "ball", they stand aside for other teams to qualify. Usually focusing on showcases, after qualifying for ASA Nationals.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06