Fielding % (like batting average except for the defense)

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 6, 2013
Hmmm
think it does happen that scorekeepers do!

"If our other shortstop was playing there she would have had that' type of scenario
I have been guilty of thinking it for sure. I try my very best to not let that affect my scoring though. Not that her coach even looks at the stats :ROFLMAO:. He's very old school that uses paper books which make it very hard to record errors efficiently. We just moved over to using SidelineHD for streaming and in the process we had to also transition scoring into iScore. He still doesn't really look at them.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
I have been guilty of thinking it for sure. I try my very best to not let that affect my scoring though. Not that her coach even looks at the stats :ROFLMAO:. He's very old school that uses paper books which make it very hard to record errors efficiently. We just moved over to using SidelineHD for streaming and in the process we had to also transition scoring into iScore. He still doesn't really look at them.
It's nice to read that someone conscientiously put in the effort to do the best job they can to the scorebook.
Way to bring that to the game @nikkilugi !

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
Ok? Doesn't matter. Sure there are more athletic players than others but as scorekeepers we don't take that into account when making scoring decisions. Your expectations for players fall in the realm of coaching expectations. I'm sure there are a lot of times my daughters coach is pissed a player didn't make a play (wait I should say I KNOW there are a lot of times he is pissed they didn't make a play) that technically is not an error. It's just not an error but he will pull a player for another and that is perfectly fine. There ARE players who can make extraordinary plays look ordinary but the standard does not change for scorekeepers. It just doesn't.

I agree with you, but with the caveat the the overall level of play matters.

You don't score a college game the same way you score a 10u game (also, the scoring of a 10u game doesn't matter much for other reasons). But you score every college game the same (actually, I'm probably scoring some bad JUCO game differently than the WCWS).

The standard for a Major League Baseball game should be higher, but you should judge every Major League player by the same standard. You don't penalize Ozzie Smith for almost making the marvelous play because you're used to him making it when you don't penalize Derek Jeter because you know he's not capable of it.

Aug 6, 2013
I agree with you, but with the caveat the the overall level of play matters.

You don't score a college game the same way you score a 10u game (also, the scoring of a 10u game doesn't matter much for other reasons). But you score every college game the same (actually, I'm probably scoring some bad JUCO game differently than the WCWS).

The standard for a Major League Baseball game should be higher, but you should judge every Major League player by the same standard. You don't penalize Ozzie Smith for almost making the marvelous play because you're used to him making it when you don't penalize Derek Jeter because you know he's not capable of it.
Absolutely. As the girls got older and the level of play improved the standard also got higher. I agree.

I have to say one thing I really love about daughter's team now is that pretty much nobody cares about the stats. I can't tell you how many times I was screamed at by mad parents back in 14U softball. Holy cow I don't miss those days.

Jul 14, 2018
Which also brings up the Judgment of opinion if pitch is wild pitch or a passed ball?

I don’t think this is much of a judgment call. A passed ball is a very specific action: the ball hits the glove and squirts away. Anything else is a wild pitch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

radness

Dec 13, 2019
the caveat overall level of play matters.

The standard for a Major League Baseball game should be higher,
Interesting in what way should Major League Baseball become higher standard?

Perhaps the same parameters/analytics that are used moving up from 10U?!

This is why I was bringing up the question about description of what ordinary effort is. It is not the same for everybody

Nice to read the conversation opened up!

radness

Dec 13, 2019
I don’t think this is much of a judgment call. A passed ball is a very specific action: the ball hits the glove and squirts away. Anything else is a wild pitch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Screenshot_20220216-140857_Chrome.jpg
Passed ball
Does not have to touch glove.

Jun 8, 2016
Interesting in what way should Major League Baseball become higher standard?

Perhaps the same parameters/analytics that are used moving up from 10U?!

This is why I was bringing up the question about description of what ordinary effort is. It is not the same for everybody

Nice to read the conversation opened up!

There isn’t a level of play where diving for a ball is considered “ordinary effort” in terms of awarding an error….😉

radness

Dec 13, 2019
There isn’t a level of play where diving for a ball is considered “ordinary effort” in terms of awarding an error….😉
Maybe I should start a poll how many times does Mr.Pattar need to repeat that same comment before you feel you have made your point. think I will LOL
Out of respect to your relentless determination!

Wow post #100 🥳

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Momma2ma