Fielding % (like batting average except for the defense)

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 8, 2016
And infield fly should be called before the player makes a play on the ball, right?
It has to be determined to be a play which can be made with “ordinary effort” before it is called so there is some judgement involved.

Oct 1, 2014
USA
A scorer can assign the error to the shortstop if there was cause for the throw, the throw was on target, and the fielder just didn't cover the base. There is actually a specific note on this in the scoring rules.
Yep, I'm aware of that but like so much else when it comes to scoring this game (and stats in general) it's a matter of garbage in = garbage out.

Oct 1, 2014
USA
Yup. That's the easy one to score. If it's too high, inside or outside, calling it a wild pitch or passed ball is a bit tougher*.

* Except when my DD is pitching. Then every ball a catcher misses is of course a passed ball. Depending on how much I dislike the parents of the catcher, some of the balls they catch are also scored as a passed ball.
I always had a problem with the whole Wild Pitch vs Passed Ball thing. Depends on which kid I liked better that day, my Pitcher DD or my Catcher DD. Usually I'd ask them about it later, made for some interesting dinner conversations.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
For further chat room chatter for everyone
It has to be determined to be a play which can be made with “ordinary effort” before it is called
Discussion topic revolves around the words
'ordinary effort'
💥so there is some judgement involved.
That includes opinion of the judgment of that effort.

Ordinary is not defined by an allocoted measurement of things like
feet on the ground, or distance traveled or speed of hustle. Or reaction time.

Example~
This is ordinary effort. This effort and range is to be expected.

However not all catchers are using the type of mechanics to be able to exhibit such range. It could be you have one catcher who has range and one who does not. How then do you determine wild pitch when one catcher can catch it and the other one can't?
(imo everything thrown at me is a play in progress regardless of how it's described)

Simply commenting that we have probably all seen certain players exhibit higher level of skills or better quality of skills like sprinting to get to the ball. Versus a cumbersome player on the field that does not have that agility to them.
👉How then to determine ordinary?
👉 Is ordinary the same for all players?
👉AKA if one player on the same team can reach that ball and the other one can't what then?

Go dfp
thanks for the conversation
good stuff
enjoy 🥳

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2016
For further chat room chatter for everyone

Discussion topic revolves around the words
'ordinary effort'

That includes opinion of the judgment of that effort.

Ordinary is not defined by an allocoted measurement of things like
feet on the ground, or distance traveled or speed of hustle. Or reaction time.

Example~
This is ordinary effort. This effort and Range is to be expected. Including glove work.

As an example of effort~
Being there are different mechanics used on the field.
catching included,
there are catchers who do not utilize mobility.
Possibly to those mechanics with less mobility
=less range might be ordinary effort
=not reaching plays.

However another catchers very mobile mechanics which create a lot more range have a lot more ordinary everyday playmaking skills!

No offense Rad, but the fact that you implied that the play by Ozzie was ordinary effort tells me all I need to know that
your view of that phrase is off..

radness

Dec 13, 2019
No offense Rad, but the fact that you implied that the play by Ozzie was ordinary effort tells me all I need to know that
your view of that phrase is off..
It does not offend me for people to have their own opinion. But thanks for the courtesy note!

However would say that you do not get to determine the validity of other people's Judgement of a play.
Which is the discussion topic at hand.

Jun 8, 2016
However I would say that you do not get to determine other people's opinions. Which is the topic at hand
Of course not. That said, show me another video of an IF who dives and then in mid-air adjusts to a bad hop and catches the ball with his/her bare hand and throws out the runner at 1st. If a play is rarely accomplished successfully, then that isn't "ordinary effort".

radness

Dec 13, 2019
Of course not. That said, show me another video of an IF who dives and then in mid-air adjusts to a bad hop and catches the ball with his/her bare hand and throws out the runner at 1st.
Are you unable to acknowledge have already responded to that? Yes that was an extraordinary play. But diving for a ball does not in itself make a play extraordinary.

Literally in college L.B. there were only a couple games that were televised. Thankfully i have those games. transferred from vhs 🙂 to DVD.
The shortstop from Arizona at the time did that exact play. Sprint dive leave feet snag ball get up and throw. Out.

Jun 8, 2016
Are you unable to acknowledge have already responded to that? Yes that was an extraordinary play. But diving for a ball does not in itself make a play extraordinary.

Literally in college there were only a couple games that were televised. Thankfully i have those games. transferred from vhs 🙂 to DVD.
The shortstop from Arizona at the time did that exact play.
I would like to see it because with a softball that makes it even more difficult. So nobody has made that play since then?

Ok so what happened if a kid doesn't dive for the ball and doesn't get a glove on it at all. Is that an error? I am seriously confused how you can be a witness to the game for so long and be so out of touch on what is considered ordinary effort and what isn't. You are literally the only person I have ever heard have this opinion...that is what is confounding me.

Now if a kid dives for a ball right at them, eg they don't need to dive, that is a different story but that isn't what we are talking about here.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaci’s biggest fan