The flute player

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 20, 2019
Ok, that headline's a reference to the girl in the movie "All Stars" who finally showed up to a game after missing all of the preseason practices.

I have one of those on my 8U rec team. Parent ignored multiple emails and hundreds of groupme texts. In fact, the only confirmation I had that this person was real was when I sent a text to him to confirm jersey size and number choice weeks ago - then silence. I noticed, several days later, the phone number I texted was replaced with "unknown sender."

So, I had assumed they had changed their mind about playing. We've had 5 or 6 practices, ordered fan wear and committed to two tournaments outside of the rec season. Again, this parent never responded to anything. Yesterday, I got a text asking if I'd sent any "practice emails" because the parent hadn't received any emails or otherwise heard from me. I quickly replied that we'd already had 6 practices and asked the parent to confirm I had the correct contact info. The parent confirmed and said the emails had gone to his junk folder. I then asked about the groupme messages (again, there were literally hundreds of messages) and he confirmed he had received them.

Here's my dilemma - this parent seems completely disinterested and wants to participate only when it's convenient to him. He clearly lied about not knowing anything about practices. His DD is going to be batting last and playing all time RF when she's not sitting on the bench. I don't care if she's the best player on the team.

If you've been in a similar situation, I'd love to hear how you handled it. Remember, this is a rec team so, unfortunately, kicking them off the team isn't an option. Our league also has a "fair play" rule that requires me to bat the lineup and not sit any player out two consecutive innings or 3 innings in a game.

May 7, 2015
SoCal
It's 8u.. The parent screwed up, do right by the kid. Teach the kid the fundamentals, who cares if you lose an 8u rec game because flute player sally made an error.

Maybe the time investment into her skills will spark something. If she's a good kid, it will be rewarding seeing her effort. If she's not, then at least you tried.

Yes, I've managed teams. Started in 2012 with DD1 and still managing 8yo sons baseball team. You'll see all sorts of parents come and go if you stay with this coaching gig.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
I coached rec and TB....baseball, soccer, softball, and basketball. I did it forever and a day.

You volunteered to coach a *REC* team. Your job is to make the game a fun and enjoyable experience for all the kids. She should be treated like every other player whenever she is at the game or practice.

Your job is for her to have fun and learn about the great game of softball. If you have one hour a week with her or ten hours a week with her, your job is the same.

Last edited:
Jan 5, 2018
PNW
I coached rec and TB....baseball, soccer, softball, and basketball. I did it forever and a day.

You volunteered to coach a *REC* team. Your job is to make the game a fun and enjoyable experience for all the kids. She should be treated like every other player whenever she is at the game or practice.

Your job is for her to have fun and learn about the great game of softball. If you have one hour a week with her or ten hours a week with her, your job is the same.

This ^^^^^^is spot on.

It may not be what you want to hear. It is REC. Little Susie is a member of the team, she didn't chose her parents. You may not know what "life" situation Susie is living either. There's a lot of "crazy" out there and out of a child's control. Her time, all be it limited attendance, could be the highlight of her week. I've had those kids and families...fortunately I knew enough of the back story to "Understand" what was happening. Fast Forward and one of those low attendance REC kids has managed through life and is playing in HS now. A huge accomplishment for her.

Little Susie is probably more than aware she's missing practices...and her teammates will for sure let her know. Some in a nice way, some in a not nice way...but Susie will know.

You may never know the POSITIVE impact you could have in a childs life.....

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coopdog