PRESENCE ON THE FIELD does it matter? How Much?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Screenshot_2021-02-05-05-43-40-1.png

Ever notice PRESENCE on the field?
At times a powerful force, and other times a weakness shows.
*How important is PRESENCE?

Little story of PRESENCE~
Nearly 25 years after playing/coaching in college.
An alumni Long Beach State player who is Head Coach Fullerton jr. College asked if i would help coach. So i did.
A pre-season game was scheduled against UCLA.
( :) yes jc. against UCLA, it was eye opening to say the least for the jc players)
Befor the game both teams coaches got together to go over rosters.
My name appeared as a coach.
UCLA Coach Kelly Inouye pointed at it.
Our Fullerton coach said
"Do you remember her? Catcher from Long Beach State?"
Coach Inouye replied,
"She's that intense catcher."

Amazing decades later to stand in front of such a PRESENCE she commands and hear her remember me on the field.

I responded with,
A great big smile, hand shake,
and a Thank You!
And then i asked...:)
"Are coaches going to be allowed to hit?" ;)
She laughed and said
"Oh its going to be like that!"

Thank You Coach Inouye!
~Turbo

Last edited:
Aug 12, 2018
I think so yes. But different kinds. Catchers - intensity, directive, supportive, engaged and aware - the nurturer. Pitchers...stoic, determined, resilient...you can "feel" them in the circle - the executioner. I think, yea, it matters...the rest see it, feel it, and respond to it.

Nov 20, 2020
SW Missouri
I think so yes. But different kinds. Catchers - intensity, directive, supportive, engaged and aware - the nurturer. Pitchers...stoic, determined, resilient...you can "feel" them in the circle - the executioner. I think, yea, it matters...the rest see it, feel it, and respond to it.

I agree with this. Not much more intimidating than a player who’s on her game, engaged, and portraying a presence that she knows she owns the field. Catcher, Pitcher, Hitter, whatever.

Overall a strong and engaged presence is huge and often contagious. Sometimes it has to be manufactured to start and then grows.

I often talk with our girls about mannerisms, attitude and volume while on and off the field. Games and practices alike. Eyes forward, over the toes, back straight (no slouching), talking talking talking.

Some kids are naturally leaders on the field and confident. Just part of the personality. Others it’s a learned thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

radness

Dec 13, 2019
Great descriptions! 👍

radness

Dec 13, 2019
presence is huge and often contagious. Sometimes it has to be manufactured to start and then grows.

I often talk with our girls about mannerisms, attitude and volume while on and off the field. Games and practices alike. Eyes forward, over the toes, back straight (no slouching), talking talking talking.

Some kids are naturally leaders on the field and confident. Just part of the personality. Others it’s a learned thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
👍Right on! Talk about it!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles