Fielders mask for 8u DD

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Long sliding pads on the legs, does not interfere with the pitch. It will save your shin bone, though, and give you some protection if you are covering the plate. With some of the fields that we play on, a bad hop can be worse than a LD.

Nov 1, 2009
Just installed the Rip It tune up kit. The mask is going on its third full season and has done a great job. The Rip It is not too heavy and really holds up great. The visability in the mask is vital and the plastic mask we had prior to the Rip It was fine until it got scratched and then you lost a lot of the vision.

Chin pad is great but does come off quite easily. I went to Home Depot and bought some heavy duty Velcro and it seems to have done the trick. As far as shock absorbsion the Rip It has a pretty thick foam pad on the forehead and the chin is pretty padded as well. Our infielder all have them and all are still as beautiful as the day they started. No missing teeth, no broken noses and no black eyes.

Oct 22, 2010
SO CAL
Not to change the subject, but has anyone seen the small chest protectors that some 8U coach pitch girls wear while playing pitcher? Wondering where they find those? They are made by All Star, and they only cover the chest.

Evo Shield makes one but its not quite like the all star one. Here is Video on youtube with a girl trying one on YouTube - EvoShield Chest Protection

Thanks for all the input on the Fielders mask. I'll check some out at our games this weekend.

May 25, 2010
I remember when major league baseball didn't wear helmets. I also remember when football players wore little leather things on their heads. I remember what a whine it was when softball players were required to wear cages on their helmets.

I smile every time I see a player get hit in the helmet mask. I know what could happen without that mask.

If the protective equipment interfered with the game I could understand the resistance to wearing the equipment. But it does the opposite, it enhances the game if used wisely. For example, I would never have a kid with their face 6-8 inches from a bat while bunting if it wasn't for the mask.

I highly recommend face masks for the pitchers and the corners. A local 3rd baseman would probably not be with us today if she hadn't had a mask on this year. The ball exploded her mask and she was able to stay in the game with just minor injury.
I'm pro-protection, but I think it's just a bit silly to wear the mask in center field. And given how tough this particular player is, I'm surprised her parents make her wear it out there. But, their child, their choices.

Jan 20, 2010
My daughter uses a Schutt which is similar to the rip-it. I wouldn't say she loves it but she used to hate the idea of wearing a mask (abhorred the Gameface) and now she wears it in games at 1st and 3rd without any complaints or having to be asked.

Oct 22, 2010
SO CAL
Thanks for the Evo Shield stuff. I didn't know about it.[/QUOT

My older son uses the football rib pads and my younger son uses the elbow guard. Three weeks ago he took a 70+ fast ball off of the elbow guard, his season would be done if he wasn't wearing it. They are expensive but worth it the only drawback is once you out grow then you cant use them anymore. The plus is they conform so well to your body shape and are comfortable

Feb 3, 2011
My older son uses the football rib pads and my younger son uses the elbow guard. Three weeks ago he took a 70+ fast ball off of the elbow guard, his season would be done if he wasn't wearing it. They are expensive but worth it the only drawback is once you out grow then you cant use them anymore. The plus is they conform so well to your body shape and are comfortable
Thanks for that info. I may put my 8yo in that elbow guard. She got hit last week, but if she'd been turned around and batting lefty at the time, she probably would not have been able to pitch the next 2 games. As she is a pitcher, I feel an obligation to protect her arm.

Oct 25, 2009
I'm pro-protection, but I think it's just a bit silly to wear the mask in center field. And given how tough this particular player is, I'm surprised her parents make her wear it out there. But, their child, their choices.

I agree with that! That's too protective!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Simonet