Fielders mask for 8u DD

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 26, 2010
Crazyville IL
My daughter has used the gameface and the rip-it. She's settled on the rip-it because 'it's cooler on hot days'. The more open design lets more air through I guess. Visibility has never been mention as a difference, nor weight suggested as a factor.

Jun 3, 2010
Not to change the subject, but has anyone seen the small chest protectors that some 8U coach pitch girls wear while playing pitcher? Wondering where they find those? They are made by All Star, and they only cover the chest.

Mar 13, 2010
See if you can get leggings for them too. In fact an NFL style protection might be worth looking into!

I'm still skeptical over facemasks but that's not an argument I'm going to win. I think in 10-15 years it might be a moot point. But we are not playing a contact sport here.

Apr 19, 2011
My DD has a Rip-it and likes it, but that darn chin pad does keep coming off and getting lost at the bottom of her bag. I wsih they had put a retention strap on that thing...

We had that same issue. Instead of buying the replacement kit, we used super glue. Worked out well for us!

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
Tournament this weekend, Sunday someone's 12yr old DD pitching took a line drive to the face.What a terrible shame. Oh wait DD had a face mask on.I say priceless and yes at times a contact sport.My DD wears one.

Mar 13, 2010
rdbass, it's why I've conceded the point on facemasks. I've yet to see the need for them, but my kids play nowhere near as hard as they do in America.

I see no reason to not wear whatever protection, especially on the face and legs - that you can get.

Amy, how are the girls going to pitch if they're made up like catchers? What point do we say enough, or wrap them in cotton wool?

Oct 25, 2009
I remember when major league baseball didn't wear helmets. I also remember when football players wore little leather things on their heads. I remember what a whine it was when softball players were required to wear cages on their helmets.

I smile every time I see a player get hit in the helmet mask. I know what could happen without that mask.

If the protective equipment interfered with the game I could understand the resistance to wearing the equipment. But it does the opposite, it enhances the game if used wisely. For example, I would never have a kid with their face 6-8 inches from a bat while bunting if it wasn't for the mask.

I highly recommend face masks for the pitchers and the corners. A local 3rd baseman would probably not be with us today if she hadn't had a mask on this year. The ball exploded her mask and she was able to stay in the game with just minor injury.

Mar 13, 2010
I remember when major league baseball didn't wear helmets. I also remember when football players wore little leather things on their heads. I remember what a whine it was when softball players were required to wear cages on their helmets.

Hey, give me time on the facemasks. I've only heard of them the past year or so! They're still a relativly new product. I will probably chuck a tanty if I have to wear one personally, but I don't think it will come to that here. I have no problems parents making their kids wear them and would make sure their kid wore if it they told me they had to. I also chucked a tanty when I first had to wear a batting helmet, but I was five.

My main reaction was to 'heart protectors' and leggings. Fine, I can accept the need for facemasks. I've seen the injuries. But are we going to have the girls pitching in full catchers gear?

NFL gear always appears funny to me personally. I know little about the game, but my fave sport is rugby league, where men will wear no protective equipment (some will wear head gear, but the soft leather ones, no helmets) and get driven into the dirt by four other men. With nothing on. Of course, they all have the der face going on at the to levels, so maybe we should put them in helmets ;-)

Apr 1, 2010
I will probably chuck a tanty

my fave sport is rugby league, where men will wear no protective equipment (some will wear head gear, but the soft leather ones, no helmets) and get driven into the dirt by four other men. With nothing on.

I love colorful idioms! I can't wait to tell DH someone is chucking a tanty and see his face.

"With nothing on" -- Really? Well now you've certainly piqued my interest. I may have to start watching rugby. ;-)

DH and I really liked watching Aussie Rules Football. Setanta (sp?) sports used to televise quite a few games. Then ESPN (d*%$ their eyes) bought up the rights, presumably just to hurt a competitor, because as far as I can tell they never air any of those footy games they paid for.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Preschuck