Helping a very raw DD#2

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 16, 2010
Alabama
I have been on this forum for a very long time. It was a tremendous help for me and now DD#1 just wrapped up her first fall as a college player. DD#2 has decided she wants to give softball another try. She played one season in 6U and didn't like softball. She got bored because she did not know where the ball was going to go. Her sisters teams have always adopted her but it was different this summer. The girls were all committed and it was relaxed. DD#2 would load tees during warmups worked as our bat girl. She was so proud she had her own helmet. She was old enough to understand the game and started to enjoy it and really get into it.

As the summer ended she decided she wanted to play again. She will be starting over after just turning 11 and will be playing 12U in the spring. She has been pushing it and even though I have made it all the way through with one from 6U to college spending years coaching I'm a little lost now. The biggest difference I have seen is comprehension and coordination and its throwing me for a loop. It only took a week and we were playing catch without chasing every other ball. It was so easy teaching her proper mechanics for fielding a ground ball because I could explain it in normal ways. I am at a loss because I don't want to mess her up at the plate.

Where would yall start? I want her to simply have fun without me screwing things up mechanically. If yall have any tips or videos you can link for me I would very much appreciate it.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
I'm a little confused...Are you asking for help with hitting, specifically?

For a player just learning, the single most important thing will be getting tons of reps of fundamental skills.

Jul 31, 2015
Get her hitting lessons from a third party if you can afford it.
You can video the lessons and practice what she learns at home with her.

Play catch and do fielding work with her as much as you both can tolerate it.

She'll do great!

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
You already have the start. Play catch and try not to over think it. Then, ask her if she would like to field a few balls or hit a few balls. Start slow and positive. She isn't her big sister so avoid those types of comparisons. It will come to you since that is the nature of the game for those who have patience. I would make it clear that she can play the game on her terms. While that might be a "given," sometimes for siblings, that isn't the case.

Tomorrow night, I am going to "give a lesson" to one of my players. Yes, I am done with coaching but I can't say not to certain players. They already know how tomorrow night will go. We will talk some about goals. The player will take swings to get loose. We will talk about what the hitter thinks were her weaknesses and we will make a plan. A lot of tee swings and front toss balls will be hit with a lot of jokes and laughter. Then, the next time we meet, it will be somewhat more serious but not too serious. Try this approach with DD2. I hope that this helps some.

Apr 16, 2010
Alabama
Get her hitting lessons from a third party if you can afford it.
You can video the lessons and practice what she learns at home with her.

Play catch and do fielding work with her as much as you both can tolerate it.

She'll do great!
We will start with lessons with DD#1's instructor after Christmas once I know she is 100% wanting to do this. I don't want her thinking for a second I am pushing her.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
We will start with lessons with DD#1's instructor after Christmas once I know she is 100% wanting to do this. I don't want her thinking for a second I am pushing her.

Ask her if she wants to go hit/throw/whatever. If she doesn't, just say "okay" and don't question her about it. That's not pushing, it's offering an opportunity. ;)

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Definitely more about hitting.

Start with tee work, and add in front toss when you can. Is she receptive to your instruction? If she is, start with establishing a solid fundamental sequence. If she isn't, shut up and just put the ball on the tee (or toss) and smile. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Go_Ask_Mom