Fielders mask for 8u DD

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 22, 2010
SO CAL
I'm looking into getting my dd a face mask. Out of all the mask I have looked at online I like the schutt and the rip it a lot I like the visibility with fielding ground balls better with those two mask. I have been trying to find a fielders mask with the same technology as the Wilson GOLD SERIES SHOCK FX CATCHERS HELMET. If anybody makes one like that I haven't found it yet. I'm open to any suggestions. Thx.

May 25, 2010
In the games where she needs a mask, my DD wears the Schutt when pitching. You can shop around online, but I'd suggest walking into a store and having her try out those two, plus Game Face. There's no need to overthink it, though. At 8u, the technology is a distant second to comfort, so whichever one feels the best is the one she should go with.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I use the Gameface and swear by it. I also like the D Mask and the Defender Mask. The Rip It was too heavy for me and I sold it.

Jan 12, 2011
Vienna, VA
By 11yo has been using the Rip-It for two seasons and likes it. The added weight compared to the plastic types has not been an issue for her. She recently tried on the Schutt and liked it better. The Schutt's chin pad design is better than the Rip-It - less likely to get lost.

If possible have her try on a few and let her pick which one feels better.

Sep 3, 2009
My daughter wore the Gameface at age 9 and switched to the rip-it at age 10. She prefers the Rip-It by a lot and says she can see better and it doesn't get as hot.

Apr 13, 2010
My daughter wouldn't wear one until I got her the Rip-It. Now she puts it on when she pitches without me even having to ask.

Apr 1, 2010
My DD has a Rip-it and likes it, but that darn chin pad does keep coming off and getting lost at the bottom of her bag. I wsih they had put a retention strap on that thing...

Apr 13, 2010
Some of the suppliers will replace that chin pad, for free.

I think I'm going to order some replacements (extras) just in case. Hasn't been an issue yet but I like to be prepared.

And checked and they're out of stock everywhere.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brkou812