Father in law

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 19, 2014
Madison, WI
Grandparents can make a big difference. In fact, there is a theory that when humans started living long enough for tribes to have grandparents, it made for a HUGE leap in the evolution of society.

My father's father had kids late in life, and died 2 years before I was born, at the age of 82. My mother's father had kids early in life, and lived to the age of 86. It was interesting to me that the age difference between me and my maternal grandfather was 50 years, and the age difference between my father and his father was 50 years. My father died several years before my maternal grandfather, so my maternal grandfather, Bob, became a bit of a father figure to my brothers and to me, Also, one of my cousins is very much estranged from his father, who is still alive, but grew up in the same city as his grandfather Bob. So, his grandfather Bob was often more of a father figure than his own father.

Let's just say my uncle, by marriage, is rather narrow-minded and bigoted, and wouldn't even travel to Provincetown for his own son's wedding (which was one of the few places he could legally marry in those days). Also, my younger brother is married to an African American woman, and has refused to have her meet an uncle whose favorite word starts with the letter N.

I was really worried that my kids would never know a grandfather, since my father died about a decade before DS was born, and, as I mentioned in an earlier post, my father-in-law was not expected to live out the year 1996. Fortunately the chemo worked very well for my father-in-law, and he even got to see DD #3 pitch last summer.

Nov 29, 2009
DD, who is a college junior, has one grand parent living who has yet to see her graduate from any school, play her first ball game or attend any functions she has been apart off.

Grand parent now wonders why DD never comes to see them?

The Harry Chapan song "Cat's In the Cradle" is playing in my head right now. My in-laws never made it to any of my DD's games. In fact the father-in-law never went and watched his own son when he was playing hockey. He lived with us for a while and could never understand why there was always something "softball" going on. But then-again... He never played sports so they weren't important to him.

29dad, it's good to here the upbeat health news. Hopefully he'll be around for a long time to support your DD on and off of the field. Every girl needs a grandpa to spoil them.

Sep 18, 2011
Not sure if this picture will attach but here goes nothing. My DD with her grandparents at ND's strikeout cancer fundraising event. Great night. Great weekend.

strikeout cancer weekend.jpg

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
My DDs have no grandparents and they have really missed out. I just wanted to let you know that while some Grandparents may not be what you would choose, I wish my kids could've at least met theirs.

Dec 12, 2012
On the bucket
DD has been playing ball for a long time. She also does speed events at rodeos. Number of times family has come to see her play/ride? Two. She was very excited for those 2 times. We live four hours away and often play within an hour or two of them.

Kicker is that some family members lay down the guilt trip that we don't visit often enough or we don't come to their kid's events. Before DD, we visited often and went to every event. Even the PITA events. Since DD was born, not so much.

Heck even DD's Parin and Nanny haven't made a single event - ever and that includes her first communion! The irony is that DD's Nanny was the worse at laying down the guilt trip when she wanted something.

Oh well, you can't pick family!

Nov 18, 2013
That's great to see! Thanks for sharing.

Love seeing Grandma sporting the ND shirt :)

Sep 18, 2011
DD plays on a travel team in Minneapolis that is 4 hours from our home. To make it work, she lives with my in-laws during the summer and spends numerous weekends with them in the off-season for practices and such. So we rely on my in-laws A LOT, to put it mildly. DD has lived with them the last three summers, and we're definitely planning on a fourth beginning in June.

But it's my father in-law who really gets involved. He attends team meetings for us. He takes my daughter to every practice, every game, and every lesson. He is absolutley the most out-going and friendly person I've ever met. I can't count the number of times when I've met another parent within DD's organization and when I explain who I am and who my daughter is invariably I will hear, "Oh, I met your father in-law a few weeks ago and he told me all about you. What a great guy!" He just loves being involved.

Two weeks ago my father in-law went to the doctor due to stomach pain and since then the news keeps getting worse: colon blockage, immediate surgery required, tumor removed, pathology positive for cancer, and finally, stage 4 adenocarcinoma. Been a TOUGH two weeks.

DD is a 2017 grad and just verballed. The new goal is for my father in-law to be able to see her play in her first college game. The odds aren't great, but he's going to fight, and he deserves it more than anyone.

It has been about 18 months since my original post and as you probably guessed the news isn't good, but despite the bad news there is a touching ray of sunshine that I wanted to share. But first the grim news - about 2 months ago my father in law's health took a dramatic turn for the worse. He has been in the hospital most of those two months. A couple of days ago he was released to "home hospice." All treatment has ended and he clearly doesn't have much time remaining. In my original post I expressed the hope that he would be able to see his granddaughter play in college, but unfortunately he wasn't even healthy enough to see her play in high school this year.

But now the ray of sunshine. I went home for lunch today, something I'm almost never able to do, and as I was about to head back to the office my wife pointed upstairs and told me there is something I should see. On our bed was a game jersey (number 29!!) and a hand written note from dd's future college coach expressing the hope that it brings a huge smile to dd's grandpa's face. So he won't get to see her play, but he will get to see her in uniform, and I know that might sound cheesy or silly or whatever but my wife and I are extremely touched by the gesture.

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
That is tremendous, 29! What an incredible gesture by that coach. Sounds like a true class act. I'm sure it's something your daughter will remember for the rest of her life.

Sorry the prognosis isn't better. But I'll bet this lifts his spirits a bit, and makes his remaining days a little brighter. Enjoy the time you have with him. The softball world will be lessened without him.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sterp