Fantastic Pop Time Fanatics

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
I disagree on it making the pop time longer if it’s done correctly. Your back foot lands below where you belly button is during the stance, and is sequenced to allow hip opening while the ball is transferred. Ground force created with the back foot is directly related to velocity of the throw. If sequenced correctly, you gain velocity without loosing catch/release time

Under the belly button is my preferred spot, too. What I'm talking about is taking a "jab step" (a step forward) with the intent of shortening the throw distance as a time-saving move. Release time is very closely tied to how quickly the body can move. The sooner your feet are on the ground, the sooner you can get rid of the ball. Taking additional time to shorten the throw distance is misguided.

Jul 31, 2019
Under the belly button is my preferred spot, too. What I'm talking about is taking a "jab step" (a step forward) with the intent of shortening the throw distance as a time-saving move. Release time is very closely tied to how quickly the body can move. The sooner your feet are on the ground, the sooner you can get rid of the ball. Taking additional time to shorten the throw distance is misguided.
Gotcha and agree. Jab step was probably a poor choice of words

Last edited:
Jul 31, 2019
Digging thru some pictures from last year's World Series in Murfreesboro, I stumbled on this one of my DD doing a knee throw before the inning.View attachment 15880
She has a really nice swivel and it’s hard to tell exactly where she is in the sequence, but she looks like her hips are open and she is loaded in the back leg. If so, she should have already seperated elbows up, thumbs down

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
If these pop times were anything close to what happens in a game, no runner would ever beat a throw to the bag. Do the math and you quickly realize these numbers are not accurate and nothing more than fantasy.

Jul 31, 2019
If these pop times were anything close to what happens in a game, no runner would ever beat a throw to the bag. Do the math and you quickly realize these numbers are not accurate and nothing more than fantasy.
Math has been done many times. Although POP times are a normalized way to measure a catcher against a large data base. The glove to glove is reasonably transferable you the game. It’s all of the “other” contributors that contribute to the 20-25% caught stealing.
  • Ball from pitcher to catcher is on average 0.5 sec
  • Catch to tag can take 0.3-0.5 sec on a good throw
  • Runners avoiding tags with hook slides etc
  • Accuracy of the throw
  • Skill of the infielder regarding set-up, letting the ball travel etc
Other than accuracy of throw, none of these influence a POP time but all contribute I. Games

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Simonet