Fantastic Pop Time Fanatics

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 25, 2019
Thanks to everyone for the feedback. I apologize for not saying so earlier because I generally do not check in on the forum during the weekends. Lots of good ideas and things to work on for sure.

Fury....that stop watch feature is pretty slick. I like that. Can I ask what that is or where it is available?

Again, thanks for the feedback and the compliments.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
A note about footwork...

Some coaches teach taking a step forward with the right foot (RHT catcher) in order to "gain ground" and make the throw shorter. I'm of the belief that whatever gets the feet on the ground and the throw in the air the quickest is the best approach. I have not seen any ball player able run faster than they can throw a ball, so why does "gaining ground" with our feet make sense? If the forward step is costing release time, it's making your pop time longer.

Apr 25, 2019
BRsoftballDad,

For a 12U catcher, she is doing a lot of things right.

A couple of thoughts:

I inserted a stopwatch into the video, and it looks like a 1.10 catch to release and roughly a 2.43-2.50 POP time. I say roughly because the video is a little blurry after I uploaded it. Here are a few things that I believe will help her:

1. Her butt is pretty low when receiving the ball. Runners on base, but stays slightly above the knees.
  2. I would recommend shortening the jab step and create more forward knee bend/leverage of the back leg. If the jab step is too forward, she has to get her body back over the top of the foot to create leverage.
  3. I really like her throwing mechanics except for her glove. She does a great job separating thumbs down and rotating the throwing elbow forward to create arm whip, but the glove drops to her waist pulling her left shoulder to 3B which elevates the throw and takes energy away from it. I teach my catchers to rip the elbow back in rotating the palm up. I tell them to pull the actual glove to the heart. This squares up the shoulders to your target. I also have them "pinch their fat" on their left side and release over their front foot.
  4. Have her throw through the pitcher's left shoulder to bring the ball down.
  5. Learning how to create a back leg whip will help.
  6. I'm not big on having a big stagger in the stance, as it creates issues with blocking and framing. Consider squaring up some and tucking the left knee as the ball approaches when a runner is steeling

Do you have a video or resource to further explain #3? The pinch the fat part specifically. I am having a hard time picturing that. Thanks

May 7, 2015
SoCal
@BRsoftballDad Just my opinion, If the glove goes down by the left knee at the release of the throw, it will also pull the left shoulder down. Pull the left shoulder down will change the angle of the shoulder allowing the throw to usually float high and right. The learning cue is to pull the glove into the middle of the chest. It keeps the shoulder angle flat... I've attached a pic of my DD pulling her glove into her chest..

Regarding the pinch the fat.. never heard it that way but I'd guess its the left elbow against the side of the body...

pull into chest.jpg

Jul 31, 2019
Thanks to everyone for the feedback. I apologize for not saying so earlier because I generally do not check in on the forum during the weekends. Lots of good ideas and things to work on for sure.

Fury....that stop watch feature is pretty slick. I like that. Can I ask what that is or where it is available?

Again, thanks for the feedback and the compliments.
There’s an App called Coaches Eye. You can do complete mark ups, or view to videos side by side including any video you want to import. So if you want to compare DD’d swing to Romero’s just import her swing and compare.

Jul 31, 2019
@BRsoftballDad Just my opinion, If the glove goes down by the left knee at the release of the throw, it will also pull the left shoulder down. Pull the left shoulder down will change the angle of the shoulder allowing the throw to usually float high and right. The learning cue is to pull the glove into the middle of the chest. It keeps the shoulder angle flat... I've attached a pic of my DD pulling her glove into her chest..

Regarding the pinch the fat.. never heard it that way but I'd guess its the left elbow against the side of the body...

View attachment 15878
Thanks for adding the pic and you described “pinch the fat” and glove to the chest/heart perfectly

Jul 31, 2019
A note about footwork...

Some coaches teach taking a step forward with the right foot (RHT catcher) in order to "gain ground" and make the throw shorter. I'm of the belief that whatever gets the feet on the ground and the throw in the air the quickest is the best approach. I have not seen any ball player able run faster than they can throw a ball, so why does "gaining ground" with our feet make sense? If the forward step is costing release time, it's making your pop time longer.
I disagree on it making the pop time longer if it’s done correctly. Your back foot lands below where you belly button is during the stance, and is sequenced to allow hip opening while the ball is transferred. Ground force created with the back foot is directly related to velocity of the throw. If sequenced correctly, you gain velocity without loosing catch/release time

Jul 31, 2019

View attachment 15878
That pic is incredible throwing posture. How old is she?

Sep 29, 2010
Knoxville, TN
I disagree on it making the pop time longer if it’s done correctly. Your back foot lands below where you belly button is during the stance, and is sequenced to allow hip opening while the ball is transferred. Ground force created with the back foot is directly related to velocity of the throw. If sequenced correctly, you gain velocity without loosing catch/release time
There are catchers who replace left foot with right and anywhere in between. The fastest is your best. I’ve always thought pitching is a science and catching is an art. Do what works for you. The best catchers show off every pitch!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookish