Denial of team tryout

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 5, 2018
PNW
Just as a matter of law (yeah, I went there), I don't think you can deny any otherwise eligible student a chance to try out for a school team. If she wasn't kicked off the team the year before, the coach shouldn't be allowed to summarily deny her the opportunity to compete. And that is the way it should be, otherwise any coach could exclude anyone for any reason, including many that most of us would find extremely offensive.
Thinking bigger picture: you really should take the AD's advice to heart. Even if she tries out, they gave you the ultimate heads-up that this is not a good situation for your daughter (I'll avoid putting fault on anyone for this post). If she tries out and is cut, how will that help her? The coach does have the right to pick the final roster and talent isn't the only criteria.

EGH...you can't deny them a try out. We saw a HS Girls Soccer coach tell returning Seniors who played varsity the year before that he wouldn't cut them. Soccer is a cut sport. But they wouldn't see much field time. He left it up to them. The 4 he spoke to decided not to tryout/play. They didn't want to put all the work in and never see the field. Right or wrong..he was up front with them and allowed them to make a decision.

Jun 29, 2013
EGH...you can't deny them a try out. We saw a HS Girls Soccer coach tell returning Seniors who played varsity the year before that he wouldn't cut them. Soccer is a cut sport. But they wouldn't see much field time. He left it up to them. The 4 he spoke to decided not to tryout/play. They didn't want to put all the work in and never see the field. Right or wrong..he was up front with them and allowed them to make a decision.

Chris8, I think that's a perfect way to handle the situation. Way back in the ancient 80's, my HS baseball coach would tell players something similar (if they had a good attitude, tried hard, etc. he had no problem keeping a few players who wouldn't play that much.)
The issue I see here is that a coach decided who her 18 were apparently after she held a "voluntary" information meeting, and then didn't give this kid a chance (and I assume anyone else who wasn't among the 18 who were 'there from the beginning.") To paraphrase the immortal Edgerrin James, I think we all know what the word voluntary means. Since no mandatory meetings or tryouts were missed, the coach should have said something similar to what this coach, or allowed her to try out and then select her team taking into account everything. It's a subtle distinction, maybe one that doesn't make a difference, but at least it gives more of an appearance of propriety.

Mar 13, 2010
Honestly I think you’re doing your daughter a HUGE disservice by continuing to fight this (against her wishes)

She’s what 17/18? It’s time for her to fight her own battles. Mummy rushing in to fix this is not required. You honestly are making her come across incredibly badly here.

Jun 12, 2015
When I played, open gym outside of the season was optional, unless you actually wanted to play next season. :)

Rules or not, they couldn't be enforced back then. I'm all for defending my kids, but the era has changed. Back then, if I screwed up at school or the coach made a decision based on my screw ups, it was enforced at home. Now a days, parents are berating the leaders for holding their kids accountable. I hate to be that "back in my day" old man; but dang it, it worked. It may not have been fair all of the time, but it was usually right. And kids were forced to step up and take care of themselves. It makes for better leaders and weeds out the herd. We aren't all winners, fair is where you get cotton candy, and buckled down hard work wins in the end. [/end of rant]

I think the "in my day" thing is an illusion though. I remember being in college and how many of my peers were really irresponsible because mommy and daddy took care of everything. If they had jobs it was just for beer money because their parents covered everything else. Issues with grades, registration, etc, their parents would deal with it. I remember thinking, I've been ready to get out from under my parents' control since I was about 12; what is wrong w/ these people? I graduated in 98. Soooo, nothing new really, IMO. There will always be good ones and bad ones.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RunnerOn2