Ear Gauges: Legal in NFHS ?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 22, 2008
Amy we have been told the policy is don't ask don't tell. If a girl has tape over her earlobes its pretty obvious she is covering something but we are told not to ask. If she tells us what's under the tape then we have to tell her to take them off. A girl wearing a head warmer in AZ in 100 degree heat may seem pretty odd but if we can't see it then we have no idea its there.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
Two issues here that I personally feel are ridiculous:

1. Self mutilation. Body art, free expression, whatever, you are screwing with your body for no apparent positive physical reason. JMHO.
2. The rule itself. Are these a danger to any other player, coach or umpire? No? Then who cares. The adults in her life have made a conscientious decision, who is the umpire or any administrator to tell the parents/coach they are wrong?

Jun 24, 2013
DD had her ears pierced in the middle of the season and they let her bandage up her ears and keep in whatever they need to keep in to keep them pierced. Normal rule is like Comp said, if you were not born with it take it off.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
DD had her ears pierced in the middle of the season and they let her bandage up her ears and keep in whatever they need to keep in to keep them pierced. Normal rule is like Comp said, if you were not born with it take it off.

So inlays and capped teeth must be removed along with any IUD or toe ring and any tat, right? Absurd? Absolutely.

My concern for the girl is that if she expands these holes to the size a quarter (or more) will she have to take out the gauge, or is the empty hole in her ear a hazard (to her), or what?
BTW she plays basketball as well, which opens up even more questions.

Two issues here that I personally feel are ridiculous:

1. Self mutilation. Body art, free expression, whatever, you are screwing with your body for no apparent positive physical reason. JMHO.
2. The rule itself. Are these a danger to any other player, coach or umpire? No? Then who cares. The adults in her life have made a conscientious decision, who is the umpire or any administrator to tell the parents/coach they are wrong?

I agree with you MTR. I just do not think she really understands that these things are pretty much permanent.
My concern is that making these larger, could greatly impact her chances to compete. I have had some umpires that have said to cover up earrings and piercings. I have had others require them to be removed completely. I was once warned that I would be restricted to the bench if he saw a player on the field with a piercing, bracelet or necklace (other than medical). Inconsistent enforcement to say the least.

Jun 22, 2008
I agree with you MTR. I just do not think she really understands that these things are pretty much permanent.
My concern is that making these larger, could greatly impact her chances to compete. I have had some umpires that have said to cover up earrings and piercings. I have had others require them to be removed completely. I was once warned that I would be restricted to the bench if he saw a player on the field with a piercing, bracelet or necklace (other than medical). Inconsistent enforcement to say the least.

I am not a big fan of some of the FED rules. Many of the rules have more to do with the uniform or size of the American flag on the uniform than they do with the actual rules of the game. But, when you umpire under that rule set and your assignors instruct you the jewelry rule is to be strictly enforced, that is what you do.

As for being restricted to the dugout, under FED rules, that would be correct if the umpire found a violation, warned both the player and the coach and then found another violation. Both player and coach are restricted to dugout.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Yoga headbands can stretch across the ears and they would cover the lobe. The athlete could do that for basketball, too.

When DD was in HS, the "in thing" was belly button piercing. I remember the day that some of the team did that. Of course, the umpire couldn't see those, but there was concern about the jewelry getting caught in a glove or something.

Tongue piercing is also a concern during games, and saying that the barbell won't come lose, just isn't 100% correct.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
I am not a big fan of some of the FED rules. Many of the rules have more to do with the uniform or size of the American flag on the uniform than they do with the actual rules of the game. But, when you umpire under that rule set and your assignors instruct you the jewelry rule is to be strictly enforced, that is what you do.

No argument and completely agree. Doesn't mean I have to like it or not give an opinion.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CentralCoastBulldogs