NFHS 2023 -- Blinged out edition!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 29, 2015
I see "transmit or record" information about their team and I see a wide window. Communication is not a necessary part of the action they're targeting. The comment about the stopwatch was my (poor) effort at pointing out the absurdity of worrying about this.

Gotcha' ... I had heard that point of view erroneously offered before, so I thought you were serious on it.

I cannot say with certainty, but I would bet this was written before Game Changer or an electronic line up was in mind. However, even with that, it opens up too many opportunities for issues, IMO. "Oh. I'm keeping Game Changer" and all of the sudden the coach is on the phone answering a call, responding to a text, or videoing the batter/pitcher ... which is now crossing the line the rule was intended for.

I was kind of joking with my reply, but I am very serious that a coach on the field needs to be focused on play as they are in a live-fire zone. They need to be focused on coaching their team, not trying to figure out how to score a 6-5-4-6-2-1-7-3 rundown error that may have been a triple or a home run (according to her parents).

Dec 11, 2010
I cannot say with certainty, but I would bet this was written before Game Changer or an electronic line up was in mind.
Coaches have been using Gamechanger (Actually iScore) like this since my college junior dd played 10u. These NFHS people are ON TOP of this stuff, lol!

I am always entertained by the absurdity of the interpretation/misinterpretation of these incredibly important rules!

Here is an actual photo of the NFHS rules committee. They are hearing a presentation of what one of those new Dick Tracy watches can do.

17294162-B8CD-4EF0-A33E-A0DE8A435FD9.jpeg
In the end, they decided to ban electronic devices and “emphasize sportsmanship”, which was a tough position to take tbh. Several argued against it.

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
I understand your point, but a coach needs to be coaching on the field, not playing Candy Crush. ;) For that matter, they shouldn't be keeping a paper and pencil book out there either. They need to be aware and focused on the game. (Yeah, I know.)

You'll take my scorebook from me over my dead body! :)

I don't know how coaches can recall everything without keeping the book. Not looking at it, keeping it. The act of marking things down is what helps me remember. I'm way more engaged in the game with the book than without. I've also not yet met a person I'd trust to keep my book.

May 29, 2015
sorry that quote didn't work correctly. I was asking specifically about the drying agent portion. I didn't see anything mentioned about it in the link, was curious what was being said about it and if things were being added or removed from the approved list.

Here is the language from the POE:

COMPARABLE DRYING AGENTS
Pitchers are not permitted to use any substance on the ball or on contact points of the pitching hand or fingers; also, no foreign substances may be applied to the ball. If a pitcher licks the fingers, the player must wipe the fingers prior to touching the ball. Comparable drying agents listed on the USA website (USAsoftball.org) are permitted, and powdered rosin is also permitted. It is not necessary to wipe off the drying agent before making contact with the ball.

Honestly, not sure why that is a POE. Obviously there have been some kind of issues (volume or significance?) to warrant it, but I hadn't encountered or heard of anything.

Feb 25, 2018
As an umpire, I am not saying much. Like I said, NFHS is not providing any guidance or training, so I’m not being their fall guy. I am not the fashion police. I don’t care if it dangles, twirls, sparkles, or tastes like strawberries.

Like I have said before, I don’t particularly care one way or the other, but the rule needs to be clear. It was very clear at “No”. Now it is very clear to me at “Yes”. I am not judging anything.

I will be intrigued to see how coaches react to this. Will they draw a line for their own players?
50-50 odds that the MIAA adopts this rule change, although umpires have already adopted it here, for the most part . . .

Wondering if USA softball will get rid of pre-game helmet & bat inspection? I’m the rare umpire in MA that still does it, admittedly not all the time. Don’t know if any other USA umpires in MA that inspect at all.

May 29, 2015
50-50 odds that the MIAA adopts this rule change, although umpires have already adopted it here, for the most part . . .

Wondering if USA softball will get rid of pre-game helmet & bat inspection? I’m the rare umpire in MA that still does it, admittedly not all the time. Don’t know if any other USA umpires in MA that inspect at all.

It isn't up for state adoption, it was adopted by NFHS.

I thought USA did get rid of the equipment check. I could be wrong though, I haven't called USA in ... 4+ years now?

inumpire

Observer, but has an opinion
Oct 31, 2014
USA in Indiana still checks bats and helmets at all qualifying events.

Feb 25, 2018
It isn't up for state adoption, it was adopted by NFHS.

I thought USA did get rid of the equipment check. I could be wrong though, I haven't called USA in ... 4+ years now?
States have the freedom to adopt the NFHS rule or not.

Massachusetts did not adopt the intentional walk change a few years ago, still have to pitch 4 balls to get the batter on first.

Mar 14, 2017
Michigan
Gotcha' ... I had heard that point of view erroneously offered before, so I thought you were serious on it.

I cannot say with certainty, but I would bet this was written before Game Changer or an electronic line up was in mind. However, even with that, it opens up too many opportunities for issues, IMO. "Oh. I'm keeping Game Changer" and all of the sudden the coach is on the phone answering a call, responding to a text, or videoing the batter/pitcher ... which is now crossing the line the rule was intended for.

I was kind of joking with my reply, but I am very serious that a coach on the field needs to be focused on play as they are in a live-fire zone. They need to be focused on coaching their team, not trying to figure out how to score a 6-5-4-6-2-1-7-3 rundown error that may have been a triple or a home run (according to her parents).

If I'm betting on the game, my #1 rule is bet against a team that has one of the base coaches keeping book. Also never bet on a team where the coach hits infield 1 handed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eb7598