Ear Gauges: Legal in NFHS ?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 24, 2013
I jokingly told myself when I was younger that if I wanted to be rich in my old age I should go into chiropractics or ear doctors because the "fad" at the time I was growing up was lowered vehicles with huge sound systems that you could hear from 20 blocks away. I rode in one of those vehicles ONCE. I felt like my neck was going to be severed from my spine because you felt EVERY bump and you felt it hard. I jokingly said that if I ran over a penny, that I could tell the date on it because the truck was so sensitive to every bump in the road. Considering how our body sags as we age, I can't imagine droopy ear lobes being attractive 20-30 years down the road!

Jan 20, 2009
This may change your attitude about covering pierced ears with band-aid or head band.
Player had pierced ears covered with band-aid, playing 3B.
Bad hop on ground ball to her caused her to turn her head.
Ball bounces up and hits her ear.
The ear ring went through the tape, into her neck rupturing her eustachian tube causing poison to enter her skull.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
This may change your attitude about covering pierced ears with band-aid or head band.
Player had pierced ears covered with band-aid, playing 3B.
Bad hop on ground ball to her caused her to turn her head.
Ball bounces up and hits her ear.
The ear ring went through the tape, into her neck rupturing her eustachian tube causing poison to enter her skull.

Then maybe the player and/or parents should have opted to either not play or remove the earrings.

Apr 14, 2013
Long Island
When DD was in HS, the "in thing" was belly button piercing. I remember the day that some of the team did that. Of course, the umpire couldn't see those, but there was concern about the jewelry getting caught in a glove or something.

Absolute, TRUE story here, albeit off-topic.

A few years ago when I was in this band called, "Mongo Kool," whose singer was Gary Setzer (Yes, Brian's brother!), our bassist, Tommy Dee, was dancing with all the girls on the dance floor during a song (Love Train!)...while playing bass. Suddenly there's this big commotion on the dance floor, and no more bass notes coming through Tommy's amp...you know what's coming! This is a family site so I'll keep it PG, let's just say this girl was dancing "rigorously" against our bassist and got her darn BELLY BUTTON RING CAUGHT in one of Tommy's bass strings!!!! They were STUCK TOGETHER for about two minutes trying to get "un-pryed!" And, of course, being the true professionals and pranksters we were, kept on playing and let Tommy get himself out of that mess! That is probably my best band story ever and me and the boys often reminisce about that glorious night. Ahhh, the band days. At least I didn't have parents yelling at me that I don't put their DD on lead guitar more often! :)