NFHS 2023 -- Blinged out edition!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 29, 2015

2023 SOFTBALL POINTS OF EMPHASIS
  1. Time Between Innings
  2. Jewelry and Electronic Communication
  3. Sportsmanship
  4. Comparable Drying Agents

The language on the POEs is not on there yet. No major rule changes other than we can stop with the jewelry shenanigans ... or start with them. I'm not sure which. Personally ... I do not deem anything dangerous. NFHS has provided me with no guidance or training on the matter.

Dec 11, 2010
NFHS baseball just made jewelry legal.

It’s a wonder no softball player has been killed.

Stand by- now being told college softball has been doing this for years with nary a maiming.

Jan 22, 2011
Thanks for links. I'm a HS AC and likely will be umping a handful of HS games this spring. Never understood why once they were in HS jewelry wasn't legal.

Jul 19, 2021

2023 SOFTBALL POINTS OF EMPHASIS
Comparable Drying Agents
What are they saying about this?

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
"Blue, I don't know what you're talking about. Our home run chain is in no way dangerous or distracting. Sally hit a bomb, and she wants to wear that thing on the field next inning."

(For real though, this is great news.)

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
It may be legal. But I would discourage jewelry.

Played with a guy. He was playing third and took a bad hop right to his chest. Big slash from the cross he was wearing. Needed stitches.

May 29, 2015
It may be legal. But I would discourage jewelry.

As an umpire, I am not saying much. Like I said, NFHS is not providing any guidance or training, so I’m not being their fall guy. I am not the fashion police. I don’t care if it dangles, twirls, sparkles, or tastes like strawberries.

Like I have said before, I don’t particularly care one way or the other, but the rule needs to be clear. It was very clear at “No”. Now it is very clear to me at “Yes”. I am not judging anything.

I will be intrigued to see how coaches react to this. Will they draw a line for their own players?

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
As an umpire, I am not saying much. Like I said, NFHS is not providing any guidance or training, so I’m not being their fall guy. I am not the fashion police. I don’t care if it dangles, twirls, sparkles, or tastes like strawberries.

Like I have said before, I don’t particularly care one way or the other, but the rule needs to be clear. It was very clear at “No”. Now it is very clear to me at “Yes”. I am not judging anything.

I will be intrigued to see how coaches react to this. Will they draw a line for their own players?
I was thinking out loud as a parent and a coach. I don’t think it’s up to the ump especially if it’s not against the rules.