Question about transfer portal….

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 27, 2013
Don’t students who transfer sometimes lose credits that they have already taken at another school? Don’t most schools only allow you to transfer in so many credits? I was wondering how transferring for these players affects their academic standing and ability to graduate “on time.” I know my school had a very specific policy about this and they had to approve each course for equivalency and also only allowed 24 credits to be transferred in (in general - it was less depending on some majors). I guess for a freshmen or sophomore it’s not a big deal but could be for a rising junior or senior.

With so many in the portal, I wonder if they’ve considered this?

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
It depends on the situation. In NY, the SUNY system has a residency requirement of 39 credits to get a degree from a particular school. This prevents someone from going only one year at a top school and getting their degree from there when they earned 75% of their credits elsewhere.

The worst cases of losing credits comes when you transfer schools and change your major. Then it is very common for students to lose credits and be on the 5-6 year plan.

Apr 28, 2014
One of the first Topics DD discussed with schools who reached out were her credits and if they would transfer. Most schools asked for transcripts and already had those answers to the coach. A few things that weren't apparent was that some schools require 51% of credits to be earned at their university to get an official diploma from their school. Other schools wouldn't admit a transfer into certain schools in their university. It's an important part of the process.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles