Ear Gauges: Legal in NFHS ?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

I have a young lady on my school team that recently decided to get "ear gauges."
I know most sanctioning bodies do not allow ear rings or piercings, so I do not about gauges. I am sure someone else has had to deal with this issue, are they allowed to wear these things in school ball, or other sanctions?

Sep 14, 2011
Glendale, AZ
NFHS prohibits all jewelry with the exception of medical alert or religious jewelry taped to the body.

I don't believe ear gauges fit in either of those categories.

ASA, NCAA is at the umpire's discretion, I'm not entirely sure about any of the rest of the alphabet soup.

Oct 22, 2009
PA
My DD has them. I can't imagine they would be allowed, though taking them out for the game would not necessarily decrease the risk of some sort of weird injury like a rip or tear of the ear lobe. I hope this phase ends soon!

Last edited:
NFHS prohibits all jewelry with the exception of medical alert or religious jewelry taped to the body.

I don't believe ear gauges fit in either of those categories.

ASA, NCAA is at the umpire's discretion, I'm not entirely sure about any of the rest of the alphabet soup.

I knew the rule with earrings and what I would call "regular" jewelry. My concern was if she stretches her ear out to a larger size, would she be allowed to play without the gauge? I would assume that if a livestrong bracelet is forbidden, then an ear lobe with a large hole in it might be as well.
To beat it all the girl is twelve years old.

mike s

Pitcher's Dad
Jul 18, 2011
Northern IL
My daughter has them, aargh, was not my choice DW gave the OK. Has not been an issue in NHFS or tournament. She has soft, clear inserts that she puts in when she plays. First few times she checked with blue, they were ok with them. FWIW that's been our experience. BTW she is 16 playing 18U.

Last edited:
Jun 22, 2008
I work in the same association as Ajay and as he has stated around here if it isnt a medical alert item or religious it comes out. Basically we have been instructed if they werent born with it, its jewelry and illegal.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
What if the girl wore a head band over her ears? (Like she was cold.) That would minimize any damage to the ear lobe, maybe.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bake12