Dropball

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 23, 2013
How do your catchers setup for a drop ball?
1. Setup as low to the ground as possible?
2. Fingers up, heel of hand pointed to the ground to prevent thumb injuries?
3. Anticipate ball going into the dirt.

Thoughts suggestions?
My 11u daughter is having problems with the ball hitting the heel of her glove and bouncing out.

Feb 15, 2013
Delaware
I like the topic and hope there is more based on each pitch type.

My 12U #1p throws a Drop Curve or CROP whatever the cool term is these days lol. My DD is the C and we typically throw it to right handers only. DD sets up down the middle on every pitch and moves once the P has 2 feet on the rubber. DD will shift inside and then as ball is released shift outside. Typically this pitch curves 4-6 inches and drops 1-3 so it's rarely in the dirt. Glove positioning (thumb injuries) DD has thumb at 3 and fingers up, sticks as many pitches as possible and anything low catches with thumb under the ball unless it's in the dirt. At 11U it's ok for the ball to pop out. Outside NECC the best camp I've been to with my DD catcher is Coach Pete D'Amour the AC for Mizzou. See if you can youtube something from him. I was very impressed with his "BASIC" approach.

May 23, 2013
Drop ball

I like the topic and hope there is more based on each pitch type.

My 12U #1p throws a Drop Curve or CROP whatever the cool term is these days lol. My DD is the C and we typically throw it to right handers only. DD sets up down the middle on every pitch and moves once the P has 2 feet on the rubber. DD will shift inside and then as ball is released shift outside. Typically this pitch curves 4-6 inches and drops 1-3 so it's rarely in the dirt. Glove positioning (thumb injuries) DD has thumb at 3 and fingers up, sticks as many pitches as possible and anything low catches with thumb under the ball unless it's in the dirt. At 11U it's ok for the ball to pop out. Outside NECC the best camp I've been to with my DD catcher is Coach Pete D'Amour the AC for Mizzou. See if you can youtube something from him. I was very impressed with his "BASIC" approach.

Nice! Do you have a link?

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
We teach the same as jquick. Thumb at three but turn thumb down if necessary. We want our catchers to work with our pitchers as much as possible so they can get used to the movement.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
YOUNGG