Yet Another Glove Thread - 11U

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 16, 2022
DD who's 9 and playing 11U rep for the first time got a new glove for Christmas, it's a Mizuno Franchise FP model GFN 1201F4, 12 inch glove. Probably at the lower end of gloves, but I think OK being she's 9 and will probably use this for 2 seasons, then upgrade for 13 or 14u. She's middle infield and some OF.

She's coming from a Rawlings 11 inch glove, one of those vinyl/barely leather jobbers that's avaialble everywhere. Its floppy, but fits her hand and hand strength well. She catches well with it, but a lot of an 11" ball shows.

She hasnt used the new glove much yet as practices are just restarting after holiday lay over. Ive worked on it for awhile now before she got it. Pocket's great, fingers curve and fit pocket well. She thinks it's stiff and it is comped to the Rawlings. I notice it mostly in the thumb and I think thats common. Shes got a smallish hand and is having to use two hands on the catch moreso than with the R glove. Should I be working in the thumb more to make the glove work better for her now, or will that be a regret later? She wants a floppy glove feel.

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
First off, only two things matter for a 8, 9, 10, or 11 year old, a glove that fits and the ability to close that glove, period!!

Forget the 2 seasons thing, take that new glove, find yourself a 5lb dumbbell, lay the glove on a towel in the yard / grass and beat the crap out of that new glove! Focus on the heel, the palm, and the top of the web spiral, which is all straight in a line, then roll the glove up starting with the thumb side, beat it some more, then roll it up pinky side, beat it some more! Hand shape it, fold it, work it with your hands. BUT, MOST IMPORTANTLY KEEP YOUR HAND OUT OF HER NEW GLOVE!

It's a Mizuno Franchise.....trust me, it won't be too hard to break in! So when you think you've got it, beat it some more. Nothing is more useless to a 9 year old player than a glove she can't close!

Oct 16, 2022
First off, only two things matter for a 8, 9, 10, or 11 year old, a glove that fits and the ability to close that glove, period!!

Forget the 2 seasons thing, take that new glove, find yourself a 5lb dumbbell, lay the glove on a towel in the yard / grass and beat the crap out of that new glove! Focus on the heel, the palm, and the top of the web spiral, which is all straight in a line, then roll the glove up starting with the thumb side, beat it some more, then roll it up pinky side, beat it some more! Hand shape it, fold it, work it with your hands. BUT, MOST IMPORTANTLY KEEP YOUR HAND OUT OF HER NEW GLOVE!

It's a Mizuno Franchise.....trust me, it won't be too hard to break in! So when you think you've got it, beat it some more. Nothing is more useless to a 9 year old player than a glove she can't close!
I been beatin on it pretty good and am being careful not to put my hand in the glove. I have a piece of wiod Ive been using that kind of does the job of ball mallet. I will try and track down a weight and beat it up some more. When you say roll it up, , do you mean like a fruit roll up, like a cylinder kind of deal? Ive been grabbing it and making s bends and that sort of thing and it seems to be helping loosen it up.

Playing catch has been a premium since its winter and the besement diesnt cut it. Practices starting back up will help. She likes the size increase and its helped with the grounders, but its flyballs hitting the pocket and bouncing out that seems the issue, hence leading to work on the thumb more. The fingers are pretty good. The thumb is a bit stiff, with the small hand, can close it over towards the fingers.

Dec 2, 2019
Have her try two in the pinky on the new glove. She will be able to close it much easier.

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
I been beatin on it pretty good and am being careful not to put my hand in the glove. I have a piece of wiod Ive been using that kind of does the job of ball mallet. I will try and track down a weight and beat it up some more. When you say roll it up, , do you mean like a fruit roll up, like a cylinder kind of deal? Ive been grabbing it and making s bends and that sort of thing and it seems to be helping loosen it up.

Playing catch has been a premium since its winter and the besement diesnt cut it. Practices starting back up will help. She likes the size increase and its helped with the grounders, but its flyballs hitting the pocket and bouncing out that seems the issue, hence leading to work on the thumb more. The fingers are pretty good. The thumb is a bit stiff, with the small hand, can close it over towards the fingers.
Yes, like a fruit roll up. Roll it up and roll it around on a hard surface, unroll it and hand shape and stretch it.

And Imalt has a good suggestion, TIP will get her using it faster than wearing it traditional.

Nov 18, 2015
but its flyballs hitting the pocket and bouncing out that seems the issue,
What do you consider the pocket? As an OF'er, I would think you'd want to catch it in the webbing. When I hear "pocket", I'm picturing it hitting more palm than webbing. If that's the case, than you can console her by telling her many MLB'ers also have balls bounce out of their gloves when they don't catch it in the right spot of the glove.

I can't believe a Franchise model isn't already semi-floppy based on what you've already done to it.

My only warning, which you may already be aware of, is to be careful with whatever "S" folds you're doing near the thumb - there's a plastic insert in the thumb for rigidity that will crack if you try to fold it top-down.

and +1 for TIP (two in pinky)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802