Don’t Pitch to Alo

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 8, 2016
The answer is

Wether thats 0-1 or 1-2 or 3-6 or 10-11 at least it's a closely competitive match.

Competitive where a team who is ahead knows there is still the pressure of the team that's behind producing in each inning.
Each inning should have the edge of competition that each team has to elevate to.
Each inning should be a contest of skills.
So if the score is 5-1 but the team with 1 only averages 2 or 3 runs a game is that competitive? How is that different than a score of 9-1 where the team with 1 averages 5 runs a game. On average the team that is behind will lose just as many times..Less runs won't fix talent disparity which is the root of less competitive games (which again I am not convinced is a problem in general). The pitchers on the really good teams will get to pitch from 40 ft as well..

Sep 22, 2021
Sioux Falls, SD
Simply offering perspective of watching how the sport has changed over the decades. And it's just my opinion of where I see the game today that's all.

To your point about making the game better or not...they keep altering the game purposely and that's fine it's good to see it grow. and it has changed how people see it. They purposely wanted to create more fanbase and more activity on the bases has done so.

However with the GROWTH of softball in itself has changed a lot...
there's so many different teams
that I don't think we see the equivalency of great pitching to the amount of teams there are now.

More good or better hitters and less good or better pitchers.

Someone posted in a thread that to pitch in Youth Baseball anybody who can throw overhand can step on the mound. But in fastpitch it takes going to lessons that may be an indicator.
I completely agree with this on hitters vs. pitchers depth. The depth of hitting is clearly outpacing the depth of pitching...On top of that you see teams at every age level chasing perfect pitching with their top two, that then handicaps the defense because they stand around all game, UNTIL a big hitting team comes through and then your Defense tends to be sketchy.

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
Does it make sense to change the rules for one team?
Augusta did it for Tiger in 2003! ;)

I say no, teams need to do exactly like Gasso and recruit better athletes. She gets those insanely talented hitters because....well she's Patty Gasso!

I agree with BillyB, if you want to change anything, one thing, move the fence back! How many can still go yard with a 250' fence? Plenty! It'll sure put more of a premium on the outfielders!

Sep 22, 2021
Sioux Falls, SD
Augusta did it for Tiger in 2003! ;)

I say no, teams need to do exactly like Gasso and recruit better athletes. She gets those insanely talented hitters because....well she's Patty Gasso!

I agree with BillyB, if you want to change anything, one thing, move the fence back! How many can still go yard with a 250' fence? Plenty! It'll sure put more of a premium on the outfielders!
That's the thing, tons of homers just clear...Easiest adjustment is move em back around 15 feet, which also opens up doubles and triples if not played correctly.

Jun 6, 2018
Well there are a lot of ways to change the game but my 2 cents is this, don't change the pitching and do not let the olympic "air bahl" leap become legal. I do not want Olympic snooze fest 1-0, 2-1 games.

The change that I would want immediately is push all parks to between 220-230 on the lines and 240-250 in center.

I respect Alo and she is a phenomenal hitter but truth be told 12 year old girls are hitting home runs in fields configured like the college fields these days. I mean you do not go to MLB stadiums and see 220 ft center field like you would at a field for 10-12 year olds, so why are college stadiums setup for 10-12 years olds? My guess is Alo probably loses 1/3-1/2 of her career HR's if you had 230 lines with 250 center configuration.

Lastly, lets not lose focus on what is not getting enough recognition and credit. JT Gasso has developed the best hitting program in the nation and the OU hitters are making adjustments during games. There are a number of other programs in the nation with talented lineups that do not have anywhere near the same success as OU, so give JT his credit for developing them into the best hitters in the nation. (Also, Patty is getting way too much credit in the process. You put Mike White or a handful of other coaches at OU with JT and it would be scarier.)

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
That's the thing, tons of homers just clear...Easiest adjustment is move em back around 15 feet, which also opens up doubles and triples if not played correctly.
Agree distance in the Outfield can be a game changer.

But maybe to big of a costly change for all programs and feilds 🤷‍♀️
Not sure how easily that could be amended.

Jun 8, 2016
Lastly, lets not lose focus on what is not getting enough recognition and credit. JT Gasso has developed the best hitting program in the nation and the OU hitters are making adjustments during games. There are a number of other programs in the nation with talented lineups that do not have anywhere near the same success as OU, so give JT his credit for developing them into the best hitters in the nation. (Also, Patty is getting way too much credit in the process. You put Mike White or a handful of other coaches at OU with JT and it would be scarier.)
JT Gasso tried to change Alo's swing after her freshmen year. Got to the point she called Chamberlain crying saying she forgot how to hit and Lauren told her to ignore JT. Granted that was 4 years ago so maybe he has evolved. Him studying Lotief was mentioned on a broadcast which is certainly a good thing. Still, Lyons is the only stud hitter on that team that didn't come in as a stud already...

That said I think he is very good with approach, etc. which is probably more important at that level.

Last edited:
Sep 22, 2021
Sioux Falls, SD
Agree distance in the Outfield can be a game changer.

But maybe to big of a costly change for all programs and feilds 🤷‍♀️
Not sure how easily that could be amended.
Just saying that's the right move to level, and balance the game. It's currently trending MLB homer or bust, with some small ball sprinkled in.

Mar 4, 2015
New England
Lastly, lets not lose focus on what is not getting enough recognition and credit. JT Gasso has developed the best hitting program in the nation and the OU hitters are making adjustments during games. There are a number of other programs in the nation with talented lineups that do not have anywhere near the same success as OU, so give JT his credit for developing them into the best hitters in the nation.

Not disagreeing, but how would we measure this? Coleman and Jennings hit like All-Americans as a freshman and were obviously highly recruited. How do we know what's coaching/development and what's talent? Jana Johns had arguably her best career season as a sophomore at South Carolina, although she's certainly done well at OU as well. Again, not being contrary, as you might be spot on, but I just wonder how much is coaching and how much is OU signing the best hitters.

Oct 2, 2017
Haven't been following along, but why has hardly any pitchers I've watch pitch her up in the zone. It's like pitchers are just laying meat ball out there to devour. Seems like majority of the homers she has hit have been middle, middle in, or low in the zone.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
salgonzalez