Don’t Pitch to Alo

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 2, 2017
Good question. Rise balls up and away are the best way to get her out IMO.
Granted she picks her pitches well. And probably doesn't chase much. But if she wants those bombs, make her adjust, IMO. The once she adjusts, work it back down low and away.

Jun 8, 2016
Granted she picks her pitches well. And probably doesn't chase much. But if she wants those bombs, make her adjust, IMO. The once she adjusts, work it back down low and away.
When she does chase it usually the pitch I mentioned from what I have seen. Who knows, pitchers may just not be executing..pressure does weird stuff to some people.

Feb 24, 2022
That's the thing, tons of homers just clear...Easiest adjustment is move em back around 15 feet, which also opens up doubles and triples if not played correctly.
I was amazed when I started watching college softball how many fields still have 200ft fences. We routinely see 12U players that can hit 200+ feet, I thought that 225ft would be the norm. Granted, it's a costly fix to implement, but I do think it would make the game more exciting. Right now you have girls hit it to the fence and barely make it to 2nd base. Making 225 the standard would really open up the game. I don't think you can go bigger than that though, because the short base distance, any bigger and you will get too many extra base hits and inside the park home runs.

Jun 8, 2016
I agree moving the fences back would be good but a lot places don’t have the space to extend the fences..

Apr 1, 2017
I think Oklahoma just skews everyone's perception. They are so dominant that people look for ways to fix a problem that really isn't there.

Did a quick browse of the bracket. Since Super Regionals started, there have been 27 games that didn't involve OU. Two of them were mercy rule games (Florida over Va Tech and UCLA over Florida).

In the same period, there have been 7 games involving OU, with 4 'mercy rule' games.

Last edited:
Apr 1, 2017
I agree moving the fences back would be good but a lot places don’t have the space to extend the fences..
Yeah. Anyone with time to spare, Google Earth some of the stadiums. Northwestern is 190' down the lines, and in left field, there is a 3 or 4 story building at about 200. Occasionally you see a HR on the roof.

That doesn't even take into account whether schools have the budget, or desire to spend the budget, on changing the fields.

May 7, 2015
SoCal
Move the fences back and put in pitching limits and required rest days for all age groups. It is so common for teams to rely on a single pitcher day after day in the tournaments that it creates a disparity. More high level pitchers = better for the sport in general.

Little League baseball does a great job in this regard and it sets the tone for how pitchers are utilized..

Just for grins - Dolcini pitched 869 pitches in 10 games over 9 days.. CRAZY. Baseball pitchers will usually pitch in 10 games per month and total about 1/3 of the pitches.

Jun 8, 2016
Somebody post the average number of runs per game over the last 10 years..I think I saw it posted on here before and don’t remember it changing too much over the last 10 years..🤷🏽‍♂️

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texas Red