Don’t Pitch to Alo

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 21, 2018
do your own research if you want to 🤷‍♀️.

Yes exactly the advantage Batters have now was already pointed out.
Created imbalance.
They gave so much advantage to the Batters and changes disadvantaged pitchers, made it so that we have run rule festivals.

They apparently thought it was out of balance before with pitchers dominance now it's out of balance with batters dominance,
that is why they probably are bringing in the leapish rule. Simply suggested moving pitching to 40 ft because that will give the Batters less time to see the pitch and make a decision. If they bring in the leapish rule that's just going to be a hairball issue with people complaining about Crow hopping.

One of the other bring back some advantage to the pitchers.

To equalize competition.
If we are having run rule festivals one team isn't scoring. Like Texas last night.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Niche sports grow with stand-out performances. OU bludgeoning teams is going to get attention, and those of us who are watching aren't going to stop liking the sport because one year one of the teams was that much better than the rest.
True!

Sep 22, 2021
Sioux Falls, SD
There's also simply throwing terrible pitches/missing spots. The Jennings three-run homer was a thigh-high pitch right down the middle. You just...can't throw a pitch like that to her.
THIS, I can't believe how many pitches are center waist or center in general this entire tourney?!?!?!

HELL, I still can't fathom how Okie State looked like a 10U team throwing the ball around and not one player was in the ball, base, backup positions. Blew my mind. Failure of the basics, regardless of age is what sets the stage.

Jun 8, 2016

Exactly!
You going to answer my question? Do you just not like people saying how much better hitters are now then back in the day or do you just want more competitive games...(if indeed there are fewer..which you haven't actually shown...)

If it is the latter then the talent disparity needs to be fixed, if indeed it is a problem. In the 80's a 5-1 game was not close..the talent disparity back then was even larger I would argue..

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
Here's a thought after watching changes to the sport over the years just my impression

Since there were changes that were made to purposely create more Runners and bigger hits,
But...
NOW clearly can see pitchers missing spots who shouldn't be,

Bring pitching back to 40 ft.
Challenge the Batters more with slightly less time to make a decision,
The batter's will still have their advantages of bats and the ball.

And pitchers will be given back opportunity to being more effective.

Promote stronger pitching in every conference. And equalize the game.

Stop the run rule Festival that has overtaken a competitive sport that is supposed to be played Seven innings.

RAD,

I'm curious to know what your ultimate goal is.

Do you want fewer runs per game? Fewer home runs, but a similar amount of runs? Do you care how the outs are made (balls in play vs strike outs)? Do you want the game to go back to being more about small ball?

My guess is that if you go back to 40 feet, at first you will see strikeouts skyrocket. I think you'd probably see scoring go down, but you'd probably have a similar amount of home runs on balls that are actually hit. Does that make for a more exciting game? I think, at some point, teams would probably adjust and you'd see more bunts, more ways to not strike out that probably wouldn't result in more offense.

I have no problem with your defense-focused mindset. I'm just not sure your solution would change the game in a way that makes it better.

Sep 22, 2021
Sioux Falls, SD
RAD,

Do you want fewer runs per game? Fewer home runs, but a similar amount of runs? Do you care how the outs are made (balls in play vs strike outs)? Do you want the game to go back to being more about small ball?

My guess is that if you go back to 40 feet, at first you will see strikeouts skyrocket. I think you'd probably see scoring go down, but you'd probably have a similar amount of home runs on balls that are actually hit. Does that make for a more exciting game? I think, at some point, teams would probably adjust and you'd see more bunts, more ways to not strike out that probably wouldn't result in more offense.

I have no problem with your defense-focused mindset. I'm just not sure your solution would change the game in a way that makes it better.
Rando input...Leave it all the same, move the fences back 15-20 feet. 😎 We see so many homers just clear...Maybe 15ft added would level and also make more action with doubles and triples.

Last edited:

radness

Dec 13, 2019
You going to answer my question? Do you just not like people saying how much better hitters are now then back in the day or do you just want more competitive games...(if indeed there are fewer..which you haven't actually shown...)
The answer is
Competition should be competitive!
Wether thats 0-1 or 1-2 or 3-6 or 10-11 at least it's a closely competitive match.

Competitive where a team who is ahead knows there is still the pressure of the team that's behind producing in each inning.
Each inning should have the edge of competition that each team has to elevate to.
Each inning should be a contest of skills.

radness

Dec 13, 2019
RAD,

Simply offering perspective of watching how the sport has changed over the decades. And it's just my opinion of where I see the game today that's all.

To your point about making the game better or not...they keep altering the game purposely and that's fine it's good to see it grow. and it has changed how people see it. They purposely wanted to create more fanbase and more activity on the bases has done so.

However with the GROWTH of softball in itself has changed a lot...
there's so many different teams
that I don't think we see the equivalency of great pitching to the amount of teams there are now.

More good or better hitters and less good or better pitchers.

Someone posted in a thread that to pitch in Youth Baseball anybody who can throw overhand can step on the mound. But in fastpitch it takes going to lessons that may be an indicator.