Don’t Pitch to Alo

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
The run rule thing pretty much washes out if you are just comparing her to any other player on a normal team that didn't run rule teams 40 times..she got extra ABs because they were scoring a lot of runs.
Good point, I guess when you bat 2 to 3 times an inning it does wash out....

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Here's a thought after watching changes to the sport over the years just my impression

Since there were changes that were made to purposely create more Runners and bigger hits,
But...
NOW clearly can see pitchers missing spots who shouldn't be,

Bring pitching back to 40 ft.
Challenge the Batters more with slightly less time to make a decision,
The batter's will still have their advantages of bats and the ball.

And pitchers will be given back opportunity to being more effective.

Promote stronger pitching in every conference. And equalize the game.

Stop the run rule Festival that has overtaken a competitive sport that is supposed to be played Seven innings.

Jun 8, 2016
Here's a thought after watching changes to the sport over the years just my impression

Since there were changes that were made to purposely create more Runners and bigger hits,
But...
NOW clearly can see pitchers missing spots who shouldn't be,

Bring pitching back to 40 ft.
Challenge the Batters more with slightly less time to make a decision,
The batter's will still have their advantages of bats and the ball.

And pitchers will be given back opportunity to being more effective.

Promote stronger pitching in every conference. And equalize the game.

Stop the run rule Festival that has overtaken a competitive sport that is supposed to be played Seven innings.
Is it really a run rule festival or just for OU? Maybe teams can pitch with a white ball and 40 ft against them..also blindfold them and make them hit with one hand tied behind their back.

radness

Dec 13, 2019
Is it really a run rule festival
Yes... many many run rule games in all conferences.

Not promoting the way the game used to be played because that was clearly changed for a reason ~More Runners on base and bigger hits.
( if you were not aware of the sport during the pitching dominance era of course you may think batters dominated the way they do now, which was not so. What I see now is overblown batting averages and run rule Festivals.)

Promoting equalize the sport and create opportunity for MORE effective pitchers!

Jun 8, 2016
Yes... many many run rule games in all conferences.

Not promoting the way the game used to be played because that was clearly changed for a reason ~More Runners on base and bigger hits.
( if you were not aware of the sport during the pitching dominance era of course you may think batters dominated the way they are is now, which was not so. What I see now is overblown batting averages and run rule Festivals.)

Promoting equalize the sport and create opportunity for MORE effective pitchers!
You keep saying this..do you know for a fact there are many many run rule games in all conferences?

Also don't patronize me, I am well aware that back in the day of a white ball and 40 ft mounds the WCWS hit record was like 4 hits in 20 games..(that is directed sarcasm..)

Sour grapes imo..

radness

Dec 13, 2019
many many run rule games in all conferences
Yes many. Clearly so many that it possibly could be why allowing the leapish is in the works.
Possibly trying to relax some of the restrictions on pitchers 🤷‍♀️

The conversation is about softball.

Jun 8, 2016
Yes many. Clearly so many that it possibly could be why allowing the leapish is in the works.
Possibly trying to relax some of the restrictions on pitchers 🤷‍♀️

The conversation is about softball.
Lol..give me some stats..just stating it over and over doesn't make it so (I have tried convincing my bald spot
to go away with that tactic..doesn't work) Even if you include OU (which is an outlier considering they are still doing it against the best teams in the country) how many more run rule games were there this year
compared to say 5 or 10 years ago.

The pitching mound distance, ball, bats AND the fact that hitters (for the most part) have better swings today then they
did in the 80's and 90's are all contributing factor to more runs. The last thing is a good thing..the game
has evolved. Pitchers need to evolve as well..I am confident they will.

Last edited:

radness

Dec 13, 2019
Lol..give me some stats..just stating it over and over doesn't make it so (I have tried convincing my bald spot
to go away with that tactic..doesn't work)
do your own research if you want to 🤷‍♀️.

The pitching mound distance, ball, bats AND the fact that hitters have better swings today then they
did in the 80's and 90's is a contributing factor to more runs.
Yes exactly the advantage Batters have now was already pointed out.
Created imbalance.
They gave so much advantage to the Batters and changes disadvantaged pitchers, made it so that we have run rule festivals.

They apparently thought it was out of balance before with pitchers dominance now it's out of balance with batters dominance,
that is why they probably are bringing in the leapish rule. Simply suggested moving pitching to 40 ft because that will give the Batters less time to see the pitch and make a decision. If they bring in the leapish rule that's just going to be a hairball issue with people complaining about Crow hopping.

One of the other bring back some advantage to the pitchers.

To equalize competition.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
I'm going to say better. The NFL took off in popularity in the 70's due to the success of the Steelers and Cowboys. The NBA in the 80's because of the Lakers and Celtics. Dynasties are good for generating interest in a sport. Of course, everything is cyclical over time. UCLA and Arizona used to rule the top of college softball. Oklahoma is having a great run, but all things come to an end - coaches retire, administrations chance, different teams become "popular" with kids, etc.

I've settled on it being good for the sport. I posted this on the Fastpitch Zone Facebook group:

If you're not a fan of a sport, what's going to get your attention? Record-breaking performances. One of the best of all-time doing their thing. People weren't watching Tiger Woods play golf to see a bunch of close calls on Sunday. They wanted to watch Tiger win. People tune in to see Serena Williams dominate someone.

Niche sports grow with stand-out performances. OU bludgeoning teams is going to get attention, and those of us who are watching aren't going to stop liking the sport because one year one of the teams was that much better than the rest.

Jun 8, 2016
do your own research if you want to 🤷‍♀️.

Yes exactly the advantage Batters have now was already pointed out.
Created imbalance.
They gave so much advantage to the Batters and changes disadvantaged pitchers, made it so that we have run rule festivals.

They apparently thought it was out of balance before with pitchers dominance now it's out of balance with batters dominance,
that is why they probably are bringing in the leapish rule. Simply suggested moving pitching to 40 ft because that will give the Batters less time to see the pitch and make a decision. If they bring in the leapish rule that's just going to be a hairball issue with people complaining about Crow hopping.

One of the other bring back some advantage to the pitchers.

To equalize competition.
There is a difference between too many run rule games and too many runs. Too many run rule games means that there is too much of a disparity in talent along with "too many runs". Would you be fine with 11-10 games or are you just not liking all the runs??