Does the riseball really rise???

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 12, 2015
If you miss a riseball at any elevation and the batter hits it, it will most likely land in the next zip code.

And at any habitable elevation, any gravitational difference is not enough to make even the slightest impact on, well, anything.

The atmosphere gets thinner at higher elevations. Thinner atmosphere = less air resistance.

I would imagine all movement pitches suffer with thinner atmosphere. This, of course, would effect the drop ball as well.

That said if it were a case of less gravity, wouldn't the drop ball be hard to throw?

Nov 3, 2012
Baseball At High Altitude

Here's an interesting article from a scientist. He said due to the thin air, the magnus affect is 82% less at Coors field vs Fenway park.

He also commented the fastball at Coors field will drop 4 inches more because of the upper gravitational force on the magnus affect. The major league fastball has the same spin as the riseball, backspin. So this scientific evidence corroborates on what the College coach was saying. Your riseball wont rise as much. Combine that with the fact that ball moves faster due to thin air off the bat and you still have less gravity on the ball, the ball will go along ways off a rise ball. So am I right by saying the rise ball is not effective in Denver, but would be even more effective in New Orleans.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
The the air is thinner in the mountains. Objects, such as balls and human beings, travel farther because of less air resistance.

Because the air is thinner, there is less movement on all pitches.

If a batter hits a drop ball, it is usually either a line drive or a ground ball. If a batter riseball, they are usually fly balls. At high altitudes, more of the flyballs will find their way out of the stadium.

Apr 12, 2015
Riseballs don't rise at any elevation.

But this is rapidly becoming pointless as you keep insisting there is "less gravity" and don't really understand what the article you linked is saying.

Jan 25, 2011
Man, I should move there. I might finally lose that last 20lbs, I have been struggling with. Also with less gravity pulling me down. Do you think I would get taller?

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
Gosh I'm going to get sucked into this. If Sarah Pauly's riseball didn't rise from it's original trajectory then I'm going to bet my paycheck that no one's riseball rises from that original trajectory. Ssarge and Rick filmed it. Marked it. Studied it. Discussed it. PLEASE someone grab me now and get me away from this topic. PLEAAAAAAAAASE!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aclee4414