Need help with 13 y.o. dh

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 18, 2010

BM, thanks for the post above, and the video. I had my DD watch your video, and your explanation of Adducting really clicked with her. Monday night after watching that video, her arm whip really improved, while seeming to throw with less effort.

Jul 14, 2008
Her hips AND shoulders open 90 degrees to the target here as the ball passes over the top........But she HAS TO return to square to deliver the ball with her current delivery mechanics..........

You cannot tell her to "open more" or "stay more open" without changing her delivery mechanics TO KEEP HER THERE........Trying to keep a bowler open/sideways to the target will rob her of power and accuracy........

She'll feel very uncomfortable trying to stay open and keep her shoulder back with her current delivery mechanics.......

2epomdt.gif

Jan 18, 2011
her ball hand and stride knee are coming out together. The ball MUST lag behind the knee drive. ..... her body MUST be moving forwards. GET THAT LEG OUT SOONER… AND GET THE BALL TO LAG BEHIND.

Java or who ever would like to comment.

This timing here. If they come out together could that also result in a hop or skip (illegal pitch) in the delivery? The body compensating for the early arm circle?

I have a student with what I call a skip. This quote made me think this may be why her timing is off and is having a slight little pause in the arm circle, resulting in a hop/skip in delivery.

Didn't mean to highjack a thread but the above quote made me think.

Jan 22, 2010
I have read and reread all the posts trying to sponge the info into my poor feeble brain!

So, things I'm going to try are: changing her pre-motion to one more like Cat Osterman's to prevent the early opening my DH does. I will work on adduction with her as well although I have always thought she was an I/R pitcher since she finishes ALA Hillhouse to her left shoulder. Maybe she's part I/R part bowler at this point so I need to get her to FULL I/R.

We did work on the one drill Rick Pauley posted where the catcher sets up 5-10 ft to the left to work on her I/R last night. I think that is a good drill. She also did a lot of the "Cat Osterman" walk throughs that were posted.

I feel bad because I can see she is getting frustrated. She was asking last night if her hips could stay at open after the pitch or are they supposed to fully rotate to the closed position after the pitch. Maybe JOJO is right and she is more worried about the finish than anything else!

I'll work with her again tonight and see if I can get any video of her progress.

Thanks SOOOO much for all the help!!

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
Before you start working on changes, it might be worth getting a good side view of some real time pitching to see exactly what that ball and hand position look like in slo mo. If you find that she is indeed bowling (and my money is on this) then you might not need to work on three things at once, you might just want to work on the I/R classroom drills and see how that affects the rest of the motion. For instance, if you do the drills right then you are already working on Adduction and posture.

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
thefinest,
I might suggest working on drive mechanics separately from whip. Don't use a ball until she/you feel her whip is solid. As already suggested, a side video should make it easier to be more specific.

Jun 18, 2012
Utah

For me, this clip ranks among the top 5 most valuable pitching clips I've ever seen! It's amazing to me how such a short clip with so few words can say so much!!

javasource

6-4-3 = 2
May 6, 2013
Western NY
thefinest,

BoardMember really nailed this.

Despite my long post... I fully admit to missing her delivery mechanics. This is where you need to start. Thanks, BM.

Once you've tackled her lack of i/r... refer to my post at that time and see if it's helpful... there will most likely be some lingering corrections that it should help with... but fixing her i/r mechanics should be your/her number one priority!

Best ~JS

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi