Need help with 13 y.o. dh

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 22, 2010
Hi all,

I was wondering if I could get some help with my dd. She is not getting her shoulders sideways. She does practice in the mirror trying to see only one shoulder but outside of that she still keeps doing the same thing. She is unable to graduate to the riseball until she fixes this. Any tips or help?
<!-- copy and paste. Modify height and width if desired. --><iframe class="tscplayer_inline embeddedObject" name="tsc_player" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" type="text/html" style="overflow:hidden;" src="http://www.screencast.com/users/thefinest/folders/Camtasia Studio/media/3c118b37-41e2-4a01-aab5-01c9edba3cf9/embed" height="480" width="854" webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen allowfullscreen></iframe>

Jun 24, 2013
Maybe try to get her glove hand in closer to her body, she is throwing her left hand way out there and her shoulders have to close.

javasource

6-4-3 = 2
May 6, 2013
Western NY
Hi all,

I was wondering if I could get some help with my dd. She is not getting her shoulders sideways. She does practice in the mirror trying to see only one shoulder but outside of that she still keeps doing the same thing. She is unable to graduate to the riseball until she fixes this. Any tips or help?

Could you provide a youtube link?... I'm having a hard time with the embedded camtasia....

As I can't really see it frame by frame... it appears she's not opening enough at the top... as in too late... not enough... and then closing too early/much. Also... it'd really be helpful to see a video of the top of the circle... and if privacy is an issue... you can always pm. Wish I could be more helpful... but there are too many variables involved for me to see that without a frame analysis...

Hope to help... ~JS

Dec 16, 2010
Hi all,

<!-- copy and paste. Modify height and width if desired. --><iframe class="tscplayer_inline embeddedObject" name="tsc_player" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" type="text/html" style="overflow:hidden;" src="http://www.screencast.com/users/thefinest/folders/Camtasia Studio/media/3c118b37-41e2-4a01-aab5-01c9edba3cf9/embed" height="480" width="854" webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen allowfullscreen></iframe>

At a clinic, Denny Tincher told my dd that her stride foot would follow the initial first glove-side movement. You might want to cross-check this claim against the model pitchers sticky before teaching it to your dd.

However, it seems to apply to your dd on the pitch above--both her glove-side arm and stride go toward the first base side.

He had my dd focus on making the initial glove movement toward the target. It worked for my dd--her stride followed.

I did not try to confirm this with the Hanson Principle because it seemed to work while I was watching.

Good luck.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
The problem isn't the shoulders. The problem is that she is stepping forward after the pitch. Watch your DD's right foot come around all the way in front of her left foot. She can't stay open if she is walking toward the batter.

I could post a dozen videos showing that the right foot does *NOT* come around...Finch, Osterman, Scarborough, Pauly.

Here is one of Scarborough...check out her feet and legs at the end of the pitch and compare to your DD's.

[video=youtube_share;avcEmdxuc30]http://youtu.be/avcEmdxuc30[/video]

Last edited:
Dec 25, 2010
**I am not a pitching coach, I am trying to learn**

However, I'm not sure this is what is the cause of her not getting open. Sluggers is correct about her footwork not being good, but when the ball is released her right toes are still on the ground..she's not stepping forward until the ball is gone. She's not "not staying open", she's not getting open.

IMO landing on or at least closer to the power (instead of way left of it) would help

I look forward to the experts' responses

The problem isn't the shoulders. The problem is that she is stepping forward after the pitch. Watch your DD's right foot come around all the way in front of her left foot. She can't stay open if she is walking toward the batter.

I could post a dozen videos showing that the right foot does *NOT* come around...Finch, Osterman, Scarborough, Pauly.

Here is one of Scarborough...check out her feet and legs at the end of the pitch and compare to your DD's.

[video=youtube_share;avcEmdxuc30]http://youtu.be/avcEmdxuc30[/video]

Big German!

Banned
Mar 3, 2014
Few things i observe. She isnt striding out near far enough! Her glove hand is very wide. I would work on a great drill from Pauley Fatpitch called knee to gut. I have a younger Daughter and i always have her do this drill. Maybe you can fing it somewhere. I also do another drill, ill explain.

I made up a drill, maybe its done by others i dont know. I call it a b c drill.

A. You do your windup FREEZE

B. Push off/stride out and get to shoulders opened and FREEZE @ 10 and 2

C. Finish with proper foot drag or you can also incorporate the high knee follow through to the gut. I would be cautious of the kneee to gut and dont let her over rotate the hips! This is why I started having her bring knee up in exaggerated fashion and then immediately pull it back down to prohibit over using the hips!

Hope this helps! I have helped many girls with the same problem!

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi