Any advice or suggestions welcome

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 12, 2008
You can keep it to yourselves till you think she is ready. I've seen college kids move over there and do well. Watched a green one move to the left this last year. Started off awful and was very good by the end of the season including power slapping. It is definitely not too late.

May 27, 2008
Indiana
Obay,

HI.com is HittingIllustrated.com. I am a regular there and consider it the best hitting site going. But, of course, everyone has an opinion on what they like best. Mikeepsteinhitting.com is another site that I consider great for getting kids going. Mike Candrea's RightviewPro hitting CD at rightviewpro.com is also good overall.

Mike

Mar 2, 2009
Suffolk, VA
There are a variety of mechanics that work for a variety of hitters. Just as fast as I suggest telling batters NOT to over-stride, I've seen some very succsessful batters at HS and college that had long strides. We say Bat Drag is bad, then you get coaches that teach bat drag, elbows lead the hands and many succsessful batters using these mechanics.
* The one thing I completely agree with is keeping her from rolling her hands at contact. Contact-extension, THEN she can roll over on follow thru AFTER extension. Top Hand drills to will help her create the strength and mechanics to drive THRU the ball vice driving it into the ground on rollover.
*** Moreso, I'm beginning to believe that if a batter practices enough, she learns to coordinate their eyes and timing to contact, and other then tweaking the obvious (Front hip flying open too fast, Head pulling off the ball, hands casting, BOTH eyes on the ball), whether their hands start at the shoulders or armpit, whether their back elbow is down relaxed as I teach or up as years back coaches taught..... FACT is you can watch outstaning hitters with mechanics that we just wouldn't teach, YET they are successful.
Candrea/Sue Enquist RightView Pro (ACTUALLY Don Slaught's!) is a good tool.
JUST DON't CONFUSE her with a variety of contradicting advice! And ABSOLUTELY, get her to the left side if she has good speed. So much you can do from the left-side to give her an advantage of using tools based on how defense is playing her.(14U - 2.9-3.0)

May 12, 2008
If a kid flirts with bat drag and yet can maintain a five frame or better swing. OK. Most don't.

May 8, 2008
I am in a similar situation. My daughter just finished her freshman year as starting catcher and was swinging a Easton stealth 33/21.5 but by the end of the season she was coming around too fast. I decided to bump her to Easton synergy 33/23 but I am disappointed with the bat(and the cost). Has very little pop. Does any one have any suggestions? I took her to her batting coach to make sure mechanics were good and the only thing was to adjust timing.

We have our State Tourney this weekend and then our season is over. But it will be just the beginning for her. I am going to get her started on the left side with alot of T-work and soft toss. I am not that familiar with the slapping mechanics any suggestions.

May 12, 2008
Learn to swing away first IMO. A running power slap is enough to keep the defense honest but I'd learn to swing away first.

Oct 25, 2009
I am in a similar situation. My daughter just finished her freshman year as starting catcher and was swinging a Easton stealth 33/21.5 but by the end of the season she was coming around too fast. I decided to bump her to Easton synergy 33/23 but I am disappointed with the bat(and the cost). Has very little pop. Does any one have any suggestions? I took her to her batting coach to make sure mechanics were good and the only thing was to adjust timing.

I don't think you can come around too fast. More likely it's a timing issue. The heavier bat slows the swing down, therefore probably the lack of pop.

I had a kid do the same thing. Came out with a 27 oz. bat. That created two problems--timing was still off and bat speed was much slower.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brookeshaelee