Need help with 13 y.o. dh

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 10, 2013
how long has she been pitching this way? with my DD, her cleats would not last one season as she was dragging on the side of her foot. we worked on it again and again, nothing seems to have helped. w/o the ball, her foot would drive properly. with the ball, it would drag. after she took a break from pitching (a few weeks), she came back without that bad habit of dragging. i don't know what happened, but it just did. maybe your DD would benefit from that as well, however, with opening TB starting soon, you might not have that option.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Both of your posts show why it's impossible for her to STAY open..but she's never getting open.

It is different sides of the same coin...

The body is thinking, "I can't get open anyway...why try?"

You just have to have a little faith...she does the Osterman a few hundred times and she won't have any trouble getting open.

DOUG ROMMEL:

Yes, I found that clip on Youtube more or less by accident. It is pretty good.

Oct 19, 2009
Ontario, Canada
I have to wonder if her PC focuses (focused?) on brush interference too much. It almost seems like she has forced her hand into a closed right hip (to create more spin?) then found that was wrong and corrected it by clearing her hips or throwing around her hip. Have a look at the thread Internal Rotation. Boardmember explains a couple of drills that would help your dd feel releasing the ball with open hips. Do that and similar drills a few thousand times to reteach the muscles.

Remember "practice makes permanent". Practice the correct mechanics and she should turn things around.

Dec 25, 2010
It is different sides of the same coin...

The body is thinking, "I can't get open anyway...why try?"

You just have to have a little faith...she does the Osterman a few hundred times and she won't have any trouble getting open.
If she does the walk throughs correctly..sure. If she does them landing to the left..not so much.
I guess we'll agree to disagree here. Which is fine

Jan 22, 2010
Question: Is she doing it right in the pics where she is pitching without the ball or is she still doing something wrong?

Jun 18, 2010
thefinest3_zps78d33f85.gif

Jun 18, 2010
What causes the hips to open during the pitch?
Do the hips open because you pivot on your back leg prior to the stride?
Do the hips open because you are striding and driving forward?

Jul 14, 2008
Quite simply, the glove arm IS doing what the throwing arm SHOULD be doing, but isn't........The glove arm is ADDucting..........The throwing arm is Extending to propel the ball.........Bowling..........

2075chf.gif

Both of these pitchers are ADDucting and INternally rotating to propel the ball to the target........

2drpr6.gif
10mlm4k.gif

You will be unsuccessful trying to change her delivery posture until she learns how to throw the ball underhand.......Properly.....

You cannot extend to the target from an open position with any power or accuracy.........The shoulders MUST square to the target to pull the arm into extension and create a window for that EXTENSION to the target..........

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi