Does anyone have a good drop curve tutorial or advise

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
Agreed. Based on the speed reported on the screen, I see the "CH" (i.e., change) part of CHURVE, but given the spin, I'm inclined to believe that the "URVE" part is simply a function of step left throw right. Thoughts?

That about covers it! Pretty much the same with the famous "crop duster" that Ricketts was known for.

Jan 4, 2012
OH-IO
Agreed. Based on the speed reported on the screen, I see the "CH" (i.e., change) part of CHURVE, but given the spin, I'm inclined to believe that the "URVE" part is simply a function of step left throw right. Thoughts?

Ok GM in a pitching thread !!!... do you think DD's is a step left throw right ???

Jan 4, 2012
OH-IO

Got it... I didn't get to see as much... only games on CBCSportz... I don't remember her pitching in the Semi's & ChampionShip ???

Didn't get to see her much in NCAA.. it was all CR... except for final game in Championship that year...

Put that clip right up there with LittleJohns curve...knowing that that clip was early, and never really seen it in a game.

Last edited:
Nov 15, 2016
Ken summarized it pretty well in post #3.

I'll expand just a bit...although there's not much curve on that Ueno change, the contrast between the mechanics vs. ball exit speed was the difference maker. Exceptional. Her post-release includes a level of exaggeration.

There are so many different change-ups, you'd have to experiment on your own. Anyway you can take speed off of the ball, create 12-6 forward tumble & not telestrate can work.

If you like the Ueno change in that video, downswing sequencing & release are very important. Really, it's a pretty simple change to learn, and shouldn't take long to throw. However. throwing it will accuracy can take alot of practice.

From start to 3 bells, your arm circle is pretty typical. Between 3 & brush, your pitching hand will rotate/pronate to generally palm/fingers on the outside-ish of the ball (similar to shaking your catcher's hand). Just prior to brush, you'll want to stabilize the wrist & fingers as much as possible, with the ball deep in palm. Brush occurs, & within IR, you will simply pull your hand off the side & up over the top of the ball as you are releasing it, allowing the ball to fall out of your palm. With practice, you should get be able to accomplish a slight 12-6 forward spin, which will help with some drop, preventing the floating seen with a 6-12 backward spin flip change seen so much in the youth game.

As for drills, you can start with close distance little short pendulum whips, then slowly increase the pendulum swing distance as needed. Remember to stay as true to the 45-ish degree power-K model as possible. You can break the sequencing down from start to finish, or reverse as well, and really focus on the muscle memory of the seperate stages from arm circle start to release & follow-through. Something like 6-9, 9-12, 12-3, 3-6, 6-9-ish. You could use place a bucket in front of home plate & try to drop the ball into it...really anything imaginative.

This above slo-mo is pretty self-explanatory. I'm sure that if you search the web, Bill & Rick probably have some outstanding video as well.

:D

Thank you...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ceez12