Does anyone have a good drop curve tutorial or advise

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
Here is one that Hawkins would throw

I think I'd call this a palm change like Chris mentioned. (After watching this clip, I reached over to grab a ball to play with that grip and it just happened to have Hawkins' autograph on it!)

Side notes:
Kinda cool that both Gascoigne and Hawkins are in the same thread! Shortly after Oklahoma won the WCWS, I had a nice call with Balswick (both pitchers are his former students.). One of the things we talked about was the rise. He mentioned that a good rise is often a little slower and hangs.

Really wish I could make it to the FF clinic! I'd love to be a fly on a wall when those three talk pitching!

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2012
OH-IO
How would you describe the rotation on the ball? And how it corresponds to the observed movement?

Bullet...???

Can't find a Clip of Shelby Turnier (YET !!!) rookie w/Bandits. The most effective in the NFP ChampionShip Bar-None... even MA...

Except Page, in this thread who has another year with the Big O... they were ineffective... in the Big Games.

Of course my DD has the makings of ST pitches, except she can bring it East & West... :cool: Was really validated by her performance. When I think back to all the names of other pitchers, standing in the dug-out as she pitched. Also the focus of the videographers getting them spin re-plays. Except they didn't get her's... I'd bet it's 12/6... also Very little radar readings broadcast in the games... "Spin2Win" :cool:

Sluggers said he has the NFP ChampionShip video. Hope he watched it... I can't agree she was throwing screwballs to set up pitches. She put the screwball on the hands of RHB... and struggled with the Lefty's, because of lacking a matching Crisp CB.... JMHO

I'm picking Florida State w/JB to win it all this year.

Last edited:

Chris Delorit

Apr 24, 2016
Green Bay, WI
Hi Lewis,

Maybe take another peek for giggles, I'm not sure that one was moving away from the righty. But who knows, maybe I'm just looking at it backwards through a mirror!!! :D .

Jan 4, 2012
OH-IO
Hey Chris,

I don't have any video of it...I watched them live... The game was aginst the Junk Yard Dogz.... she got in the very last inning of the final... Going off memory... thought I was seeing some more of this... :cool: I guess you only see what you want to see... Lucky DD knows what I want to see... LOL (talking about my post #15)

<video width="512" height="100%" controls loop video controls autoplay>
<source src="https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/58923514/Prime/1-ScrewDrop.mp4" />
</video>

EP: After re-reading...We might be taking about two different things... my .gif is Parker of Oklahoma. I did mirror it because she is a lefty, and its an example of how I showed DD how I wanted the path of her backdoor curve.

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2012
OH-IO
Gascoigne?

Was thinking it was Parker... I saw the game... that was WCWS, and the Vols pitcher... You could be right, it was couple yrs ago... Parker is one I'm watching , just a sophomore this year...or I just couldn't spell the other one.... LOL stand Corrected... Also wrong about the ones mentioned ( she was ) in the thread as ineffective.... that was effective !!! But didn't see much of her transitioning into NPF like the rest.

Surprised with all the big time rookies hitting & Pitching not doing that good this year... making ST... the big stand-out to me !!! JMHO

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ceez12